Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 17th, 2008 10:00

9800GX2: are these temperatures NORMAL?

I've been working on the computer all day, doing simple files transfers and minor web browsing (nothing really to overexert the system). As time passed by, my single 9800GX2 card got progressively noisier and hoter. The card's fan started ramping up and up regularly at every 20 seconds or so for about 5 seconds each time. Up and down, up and down... continuously.

Now, I just checked the temperatures in GPU-Z and this is what I found (sorry, for some reason I can't post pictures right now... this is the link to a screenshot of the GPU-Z results):

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx2F8OnA

I've read multiple reviews stating that these cards reach around 75-80C at stress loads, so does this mean that this card is maybe defective (particularly considering that I haven't even stressed it) or should I not worry.

23 Posts

August 17th, 2008 11:00

Did you change the fans from automatic fan control in nvidia control panel? If I change the case fan settings it makes my GPU fan go haywire like that.

The GPU should be able to handle 120-130 without cooking(somewhere around there they shut down), but I would fix it asap, at default clocks and aircooled idle should be around 50's-60's, and load 60's-80's.

70 Posts

August 17th, 2008 19:00

Nope, fans are still set to automatic control in the Nvidia panel. The card just gets very hot, without much effort...

2.3K Posts

August 17th, 2008 19:00

You might want to try RivaTuner to control the GPUs Fans....

OTOH.... Here's how you can post pictures on DCF:

1) Copy the shortcut/link from where your image is being hosted

2) click the "GreenTree" looking icon inside your message compose window (3rd icon to right of smilies)

3) In the new window that opens... highlight the http:// and paste your link in place of it

4) Click "Insert" in that same window.... and your picture should appear like this:

Peace

Message Edited by MoneyGuyBK on 08-17-2008 09:48 PM

23 Posts

August 17th, 2008 20:00

I'd try deselecting ntune in the startup menu, and reboot to see if the GPU fan starts acting normal anyhow. If it is ntune causing the problem like it did for me, reinstalling nvidia performance fixxed it.

14.4K Posts

August 17th, 2008 20:00

I hope not cause it didn't work!!!:smileywink:

70 Posts

August 18th, 2008 03:00

@Fitzee wrote:
I'd try deselecting ntune in the startup menu, and reboot to see if the GPU fan starts acting normal anyhow. If it is ntune causing the problem like it did for me, reinstalling nvidia performance fixxed it.

Thanks. I'll try this.

2.3K Posts

See for yourself:

Peace

70 Posts

@MoneyGuyBK wrote:

You might want to try RivaTuner to control the GPUs Fans....

OTOH.... Here's how you can post pictures on DCF:

1) Copy the shortcut/link from where your image is being hosted

2) click the "GreenTree" looking icon inside your message compose window (3rd icon to right of smilies)

3) In the new window that opens... highlight the http:// and paste your link in place of it

4) Click "Insert" in that same window.... and your picture should appear like this:

Peace

:smileyvery-happy: That's EXACTLY why I couldn't post a picture. I know how to do it, but I kept getting the same result each time I tried. There might be some issue with the forums' code.

2.3K Posts

Something is wrong with your image hosting site....

The method I use works every time with www.PhotoBucket.com & www.WebShots.com

As a matter of fact when I posted your image from your site it worked.

Again when I just now edited it... again it worked.

But for some reason I think your image hosting site loses the link after a while.

Peace

14.4K Posts

August 18th, 2008 14:00

You have to make sure you select the image location link otherwise it will not work.

August 18th, 2008 21:00

Is your computer against the wall?

It's a good idea to leave a 5-6 inches front and rear of the computer so air can flow in and out.

70 Posts

August 18th, 2008 23:00

No. I made sure that it was well positioned to maximize airflow.

17 Posts

August 19th, 2008 04:00

Definitely something going on there.  Those temps are too hot ....even if the card can run at that temp.  My computer is pretty much exactly like yours and I'm running a pair of 9800gx2 in quad sli.  My GPU temps idle around 60 degree and never get past 75 or so.

Hope you get it figured out.

70 Posts

August 19th, 2008 04:00

Well, the problem still remains. There are several factors involved here and I'm not sure which may be the culprits.

First, the two GPUs and PCB now rise quickly from a cold startup up to 100 C and more, in less than 10 minutes at idle (!!!)

GPU-Z confirms that the fans do not engage (0%) until the temperature reaches more than 80 C on average. The fans then turns on and off, in rhythmic bursts of ~5 seconds, every 10 seconds. They do not remain on continuously, even though GPU-Z says they are at 100% at all times.

Now, I don't think I should have to use Rivatuner to get this to work properly. My guess is that this behavior is not normal, so i don't want to "hide it" with a 3rd-party program.

Am I correct to assume that this isn't normal? All 9800GX2 owners, please chime in if possible. Do your cards behave in the same way or not? If not, then I'm pretty certain that this card is defective or that something is preventing it from working correctly...

Keep in mind that I only changed the color of the chassis' LEDs in Nvidia performance; the fans are still on automatic control in all my profiles. I haven't overclocked anything and the desktop is positioned so that airflow is maximized.

As of yet, I have not experienced any video artifacts, but then again, I haven't been pushing the system yet either. The only other video-related issue that I encountered was a BSOD caused by nvlddmkm.sys, which seems to be related to an Nvidia driver. This has not reoccurred recently though. Audio-wise, I've had 2 screeches-of-death, with the usual symptoms (crackling and popping when scrolling, etc...) but that seems to have gone away since.

139 Posts

August 21st, 2008 04:00

On occasion, when I was messing around with the different version of the nvidia software my 9800GX2 would also do the fan burst thing.  I had a couple of BSOD related to hardware, not sure what, while playing WoW.  At one time I also had high temps on my video card, but since that time, I have the latest bios loaded, the latest MIO firmware loaded, the latest Nvidia performance package loaded (6.02) and the latest drivers loaded.  I made my own profile and I load it everytime I start the PC. I currently have the 9800 fan set at 90% and I have also set the cpu fan to about 65% I think.  Seems to be working ok now.
No Events found!