Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2003 16:00

ACPI 'unknown device' in device manager....

I am having this problem on my Dell Dimension 8100 with WindowsXP pro. However, I also had this problem with Windows 2000 pro as well. When I have installed the OS and the latest BIOS, critical updates, etc., there will be an 'unknown device' flagged in the device manager. It says that there are no drivers for it and: Device type - other devices ; Manufacturer - unknown ; Location - on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant system.

I cannot seem to find a way to get this device to be accepted/recognized and I would like to know how. When I had Win2K pro it also seemed to have problems with the USB/PnP digital camera as well. Maybe this was just a 'lucky' coincidence, but I thought it may have had something to do with the problem with this device.

Can anyone help???

28K Posts

March 29th, 2003 21:00

The unknown device is likely the useless E-Support button on the front of your computer.  It will not cause any problems, because it has no function at the present time anyway, but if you want to fix it, see the following thread and the replies by me (volcano11) and paa:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_bios&message.id=19191

Steve

2 Posts

March 30th, 2003 01:00

thanks for the tip about the e-button. Before I read your post I installed WindowsME on my computer again to see what driver it was that XP didn't have. I couldn't find it until I put in the CD, which I thought only had virus software on it. There is was, for the support utility so I was kind of wondering how this was something I needed.

Glad to hear that I don't.

No Events found!