Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2011 08:00

ALERT Cage Card Fan Failure - XPS 420

I have read several threads regarding this topic, but my issue seems different than most.  After recieving the above mentioned message, I press F1 to continue.  The Card Cage fan then begins a slow ramp up until it achieves 100% RPM's and continues to run.  I have opened it up and blew out some of the dust, then at the suggestion of another thread, I reloaded the BIOS.  No resolve at this point.  Thank you to anyone that has a resolution to this matter.

RickT

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 15th, 2011 09:00

I don't see anything specifically on this, but SOME Dell fans are proprietary and have additonal electronics that interface with the BIOS.  With this type of fan, if the BIOS does not "see" the fan it will report the fan failure and require you to press F1 to continue.  The Fan may work OK after that, until your reboot again.   In cases such as this, the fan will have to be replaced with another Dell OEM fan.  

If your system is still in warranty, contact Dell for repair.  I couldn't find a part number for the fan, but HERE is the Dell spare parts web page.

10 Posts

July 15th, 2011 09:00

Thank you for your reply.  To clarify, I have rebooted at least a dozen times since the initial alert and the fan continues to run in the same manner.  Im well beyond warranty, also.  Thanks for your feedback.

5 Posts

May 12th, 2012 03:00

Dear Roderick63,

I have an XPS 420 with the same failure alert. If you check the BIOS logs, (press F2 during booting) you'll probably see, a lot of "Air temperature" and "out of range" alerts. This happens when the air temperature sensor of XPS 420 is faulty. What then happens is that the cage-fan tries to lower the temperature by working at 100% all time. Of course this never stops because the sensor can not report the right temperature.

I plugged out the cage fan but then this "card-cage fan alert" appeared when I boot. IF I press F1, everyting then is normal. I couldn not find a way to turn off this alert in the BIOS.  What really should fix this problem is a new Temp. Sensor.

But I don't know where this sensor is located in XPS 420. Some say its on the CPU-Heat Sink, other say its on the Front I/O Panel.

Does anyone have an idea where it is and how I can replace it?

How did you solve your problem anyway?

Cheers

10 Posts

May 12th, 2012 14:00

Well, If you can find the sensor you could try it.  I simply replaced the card cage fan ($30) and all was well.

1 Message

May 16th, 2012 19:00

What did you replace it with? I am having the same issue. However if it is just the fan, I'd rather replace that than the whole assembly shroud and sink.

Thanks

4 Posts

May 16th, 2012 20:00

I should have kept track of the oem part number but I didnt, sorry.  Dell should be able to provide that along with a preferred vendor.  That is where I got my info.  Simple replacement only requiring patience in extracting the old fan as it doesn't just "fall out" and finessing the new fan into postion.  I would rate it a 5 in ease on a scale of 5, unless you have no clue what you are doing.  Good luck!!  :-)

12 Posts

June 5th, 2013 13:00

Is anyone able to provide an answer as to where the temperature sensor is for the XPS420? I know the model's a few years old now but mine is working fine apart from the fan being 100% ish a lot of the time.

I can't see that it's in the heatsink as there's no cables attached, so either the CPU fan or front I/O?

No Events found!