Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 13th, 2012 06:00

AMD Radeon HD 6870 into Inspiron 580

I bought a Inspiron 580 and I have changed the Graphic Card to a Radeon HD 6870 and the power supply to NOX NX Series 520W NXS520.

I have installed the latest rivers but I'm having some problems with it, sometimes when I'm playing  a flash game with hardware acceleration activated, the screen goes black and the sound stills playing with no problem, also this crash is also happening with games that use Source Engine and the only way to stop this is shutting the computer.

I have contacted AMD support and the only reason they found is that this is a pre-mounted computer so I will have to download especific drivers for this computer and this graphic card but I can't seem to find them.

September 18th, 2012 17:00

Hi Prelone,

I would recommend you to check if the screen refresh rate is set as maximum. you can check this by right clicking on the desktop,click on screen resolution,click on Advanced settings,select Monitor tab on the tab,make sure the refresh rate is set at maximum.
If this doesnt work, I will advise you to use the integrated video card and play some games to check if the same issue occurs.

If the above step does not work,I will recommend you to restore the system to the factory default settings.

Note: Restoring the original factory image erases ALL existing data. This includes files, folders, programs, drivers, E-mails, photos. Before performing a PC Restore, back up all personal files. If you do not back up your personal files, the data will be lost.

PC Restore steps for Windows7 (PC restore is done from a image saved in partition in the hard drive. If you have tried an operating system installation previously, PC restore may not work.

1. Turn on the Computer and start pressing the “F8” Key on the first Dell logo. Keep on pressing the “F8” key on first Dell screen until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.

2. Highlight "Repair Your Computer" and hit enter.

3. Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.

4. Enter your Password and click ok.

5. On Choose a Recover Tool Window

Select: Dell DataSafe Restore and Emergency Backup

6. You Get:

• Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files

•  Select other System Backup and more options

7. Select: Select other System Backup and more options

You get:

•  Restore my computer
  •  Backup Files and folders

8. Select: Restore my computer.

9. Confirm the restore and continue.

10. Select: Factory Image restore

11. Choose Restore without preserving new or changed files and click on Next.

12. Click on Continue.

13. When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.
The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received. You can also check the link below for more information on PC restore.
 http://dell.to/Us8DQ8
Please reply if you have any further questions

September 13th, 2012 06:00

Hi Prelone,

I would advise you to install the Catalyst Software Suite for the HD 6870 driver which you will find in the link below.
http://bit.ly/SfD1cO
If you have already installed this you can also try installing the Dell HD 6870 driver from the following link http://dell.to/PdLFdH
Also, upgrade the system BIOS to the latest version from the following link.
http://dell.to/UNWyVz

Note: Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:

• No external devices should be connected.
  • All other programs should be closed and documents saved

I would also like to know whether this issue occurs when you try playing a particular game on any website or is it random. Also, let me know the screen resolution that you are using and the model no. of the monitor.
You can check the resolution by right clicking on the desktop and clicking on screen resolution.

Do reply with results.

5 Posts

September 13th, 2012 08:00

Thanks for the quick answer, I has already the Catalyst Software Suite, however I have installed the driver from the second link and tested if I has any crashes  with some of the games I have had problems and seems to be working perfect but I'm not 100% sure if it has been fixed as the crashed are completely random and maybe I was just lucky that moment.

Should I update the BIOS anyway? or just if I experience the crash again?

September 13th, 2012 11:00

Hi Prelone,

Thanks for the reply.

The current BIOS update with this system is the A07 version. I would recommend you to type msinfo32 on the search bar on the start menu and hit enter. You will get the BIOS version on this page, if it is lower than the A07 version you can go ahead and flash the BIOS. If it is of the same version there is no need to do it.

Upgrade the system BIOS to the latest version from the following link.

Keep a check on the system regarding the video issue and let me know if the issue reoccurs.

5 Posts

September 13th, 2012 13:00

Hi, I have checked it and It was outdated (A06), updated it with no problems and I hope the crash doesn't happen again.

Thanks

Hi Prelone,

Thanks for the reply.

The current BIOS update with this system is the A07 version. I would recommend you to type msinfo32 on the search bar on the start menu and hit enter. You will get the BIOS version on this page, if it is lower than the A07 version you can go ahead and flash the BIOS. If it is of the same version there is no need to do it.

Upgrade the system BIOS to the latest version from the following link.

Keep a check on the system regarding the video issue and let me know if the issue reoccurs.

5 Posts

September 15th, 2012 12:00

The problem isn't resolved. I just had have the same crash while I was playing a flash game in my browser (Google Chrome)

September 17th, 2012 10:00

Hi Prelone,

This does not seem to an issue with the hardware. It can either be the browser or certain settings which may be causing this issue. I'll recommend you to try a few steps to check the browser.
1. Try another browser, IE 9 or mozilla firefox and see if the same issue occurs.
2. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Chrome and check.Please follow the steps below:

• Click Start> Control panel> program and features> Add/ Remove program and uninstall Google chrome.
  • Once it is uninstalled reinstall Chrome from the following link. http://bit.ly/QU3wri

3. Try to create another user profile and check if same issue occurs in the new profile.To create a userprofile follow the steps below:

• Click Start> Control Panel>User accounts.
  • Create a new user account.
  • Once created, log off from the current user account and login to the new one, try to play the flash game on this account and see if the problem reoccurs.

I would also like to ask you whether this is happening on a particular website or flash game, or is it random for any flash game over the internet.
Please reply if you have any further questions.

5 Posts

September 18th, 2012 14:00

Hi Prelone,

This does not seem to an issue with the hardware. It can either be the browser or certain settings which may be causing this issue. I'll recommend you to try a few steps to check the browser.
1. Try another browser, IE 9 or mozilla firefox and see if the same issue occurs.
2. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Chrome and check.Please follow the steps below:

• Click Start> Control panel> program and features> Add/ Remove program and uninstall Google chrome.
  • Once it is uninstalled reinstall Chrome from the following link. http://bit.ly/QU3wri

3. Try to create another user profile and check if same issue occurs in the new profile.To create a userprofile follow the steps below:

• Click Start> Control Panel>User accounts.
  • Create a new user account.
  • Once created, log off from the current user account and login to the new one, try to play the flash game on this account and see if the problem reoccurs.

I would also like to ask you whether this is happening on a particular website or flash game, or is it random for any flash game over the internet.
Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks for the answer, I have done that and the crash seems to be also happening with games that doens't work on flash, it just happen on some games at random times, I have no idea why this is happening.

4.4K Posts

May 29th, 2013 22:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                            

No Events found!