Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2012 11:00

ATI Catalyst Control Center SNAFU

I have an inspiron 530s with the ATI Radeon HD 3450 installed. Some time ago my Catalyst control center (CCC) quit working--not sure when. I noticed my notification tray icon quit showing up. I tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver package from Dell several times, both from the disk that came with my PC as well as from the Dell website. It's the same thing every time--the start menu icon is there as well as the program files. When I try to start from either location, a little hourglass appears for a few seconds then disappears, and nothing happens. Ths last time I tried the uninstall-reinstall procedure, I got a "command line interference--CCC is shutting down" message. I've already contacted ATI, and they say that the software portion of the video card package and designed and supported by Dell. Someone please help me with this. I've looked at "Ati Driver Instructions" already from DELL-Chris M, but Driver Sweeper from Guru3D is no longer available; however, I did follow the other steps in that article.

Thanks from krazeyelf

6 Posts

January 4th, 2012 11:00

PS I have Vista 32 bit SP2

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 4th, 2012 13:00

Thanks. I have updated my instructions.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 4th, 2012 13:00

There is a good reason and it is meaningful news 
As many people will be aware, Driver Sweeper is a piece of software that cleans the registry of old drivers etc.

Anyway their was a bug on the old versions of Driver Sweeper Version 2.8.5 - 22-01-11 and prior releases in which if your using AMD/ATI Graphics cards it would remove windows (ATI/AMD) system drivers required if you updated to Windows Service Pack 1 which has been fixed in versions 2.9.0 and newer - SP1 checks to see if all system drivers are there, if they are not it won't install.

If anyone does a search for Driver Sweeper you will notice it brings up the Guru3D website, the problem is they list version 2.1.0 which dates back to 2009 and they have never updated the website regardless of numerous people on the Guru3D forums notifying Guru3D about the updates - they simply delete the posts.

It's as if Hilbert Hagedoorn (Owner of Guru3D) is reluctant to make software updates on their website, when the developer requested Hilbert to remove the Driver Sweeper software from the Guru3D website he was banned from the forums, all e-mails whether from the developer or people using the forums to request the update to the latest version were deleted off the Guru3D forums.

Driver Sweeper is available from Phyxion

http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/Version-3-2-0/

Dell does not support windows repair.  You will have to format and reinstall via recovery or reinstall of windows.

34 Posts

January 4th, 2012 14:00

try ccleaner.com before you go throgh a format

6 Posts

January 4th, 2012 14:00

Okay folks, thanks. I'll try the mod's instructions and let you all know how it goeth...

6 Posts

January 4th, 2012 15:00

Okay followed the instructions and ran ccleaner and CCC still doesn't work (have icons and files but no notification area icon and opening CCC doesn't have any effect besides an hourglass for a couple seconds). Any suggestions from here?

34 Posts

January 4th, 2012 16:00

I found this on ati's website, not sure if it helps.

sites.amd.com/.../radeon_vista-64.aspx

I installed an ati video card a few years ago and had problems with the install, found that I had to go to the device manager section, select the device, remove it, reboot (with the drivers already installed) and my system recognized the video card. Its possible your system is still finding the old video card instead.

6 Posts

January 4th, 2012 17:00

Yeah, I tried going that route, although I installed the vista 32-bit version instead because that's the version of vista I'm running. That didn't work. I spoke to an AMD tech guy this morning. He told me the dowloads on AMD's site were for aftermarket cards that a person buys separately and installs. Mine if factory-installed by Dell and the tech guy told me that I'd need to go to support.dell.com and download Dell's drivers for the Radeon card instead. So...the video card drivers and hardware are working and up-to-date...just cant seem to get the control center (CCC) to run.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 6th, 2012 07:00

Dell does not support windows repair.  You will have to format and reinstall via recovery or reinstall of windows.

6 Posts

January 6th, 2012 10:00

I'm thinking about format and install to wipe my PC anyhow, hopefully if I do that the CCC will work as well. I'm not having any windows issues at this time (that I know of...)

No Events found!