Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2011 14:00

ATI HDMI Audio Device Not Working

Okay, let's see if anyone could help me figure this one out.

I have an XPS 420 Desktop.. Core 2 Duo - 3GHz, 4G' RAM, with a Dell 0TP406 Motherboard, running W7 Ult. (x86). Yesterday I installed an ATI Radeon HD 5750 along with a new PSU. Had a bit of a hard time installing the new drivers since the CD seemed to fail at first; Application crash. Later on when I downloaded the Driver Files and started the install, my desktop Blue-Screened a few times when 'examining the hardware'.

After a while, I got the card to finally work, played a few games on it just to test it and let the computer go to sleep. A few hours later when I wake it back up, the sound icon is X'ed with a red icon saying that I have no speakers or headphones plugged in; my original devices missing, a new useless ATI HDMI Audio driver, and no sound what-so-ever.

I've tried:

reinstalling old drivers - failed. Installation says that the 'software' does Not work for the new hardware... But what does the graphics card have to do with anything? I didn't install a sound card. Why should it bring an audio driver that knocked out mines?

upgrading new drivers - nada. Just says that Now, the Hardware is disconnected or missing. Okay?

Haven't tried:

plugging the old video card - maybe by doing so and re-installing its drivers could help determine what the real problem is, and see if re-installing the Original Sound drivers works this time around. If yes, then I return the new video card.

installing realtek drivers - I'm not sure if I should, but they support Windows 7 32bit. They also carry the ATI HDMI Audio Device software... So?

What should I do?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 8th, 2011 15:00

Many new HD Video cards with HDMI output have their own built in sound, for the HDMI link only. 

Have you checked the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound and finally the Sound Panel.  In the playback section you should have your "speakers' (PC audio) and an ATI HDMI Output.  It sounds like the ATI is set as the "default" playback device and if it is, change it to the "Speakers". 

I have an ATI HD4850 and that is what I have in the Playback panel. 

What concerns me more is the blue screens and the problems installing the drivers. That suggests either the new Video Card or the drivers you were installing have a problem. 

2 Posts

January 8th, 2011 16:00

The video card took over. There are no other sound drivers in my computer. I re-installed Realtek with the 'Recommended Settings' by Windows and it said the same as when I tried installing my original drivers 'No Compatible Hardware'.

Where to go now? Is there any cable to convert from the card to my cable speakers?

1 Message

June 28th, 2012 09:00

I have the exact same problem, but I'm guessing since no one has replied to this since Jan 2011, there is no solution? :emotion-7:

No Events found!