Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2010 18:00

ATI Radeon x1300 Low Profile - Insprion 545s Desktop(Unsupported Video Config) -- Need help adding 2nd monitor?

Hello,

I'm not too familiar with how this stuff works, so I am thinking I may have bought the incorrect card.  I do know that i needed a "low profile" for my Dell Insprion Desktop 545s as it is a slim case design.  So, I bought this ATI Radeon x1300 (low profile) off of eBay and put it into the slot and its not working.  I figured b/c it fits in the slot it should work.. (that's how naive I am when it comes to this stuff...)    My intentions are to have capabilities of a 2nd monitor!  But, when I put it into the slot, as the computer loads up, the original/default monitor brings up a message saying "Unsupported Video Configuration Detected" please do the following steps, etc.. - which I have tried the mentioned steps again and again with no success..  I have even went into device manager to scan for hardware changes and at one point, it popped up under "Other devices" and "Display Adapters" (I actually saw RADEON Graphics Card etc.. in the device manager), and said I need to restart computer, than it disappeared after a reboot in the device manager.  Don't know if that would've made much of a difference anyways..   HOWEVER - If I were to remove the "original" monitor slot and have the 2nd monitor plugged into the newly added graphics card slot it works!!  So 1 monitor can work at a time in each slot (The newly added graphics card slot and the original vga default monitor slot).. they just don't seem to work together at the same time???

I believe the back of this video/graphics card is a "DVI" Port design.  So, I have an adapter that will fit into my "VGA" port/slot monitor.. So, it could fit into the newly added graphics card.

Any suggestions as to why it's not working?  Do I have the wrong card?  I thought that it should work b/c it fits in the slot and is a Low Profile card?  Dell hasn't helped me much either b/c, in fact, this is the second card I have purchased.  The first one I purchased was from Dell and they sent me the wrong card after I repeatedly told them I needed a low profile.   All gripes aside, I think its a great computer, but I very very very very much need this 2nd monitor to work and just haven't been having any luck!

Oh, it has the following Specs:  Windows 7, 6gb RAM, 700gb HD, Dual Core and some other stuff I'm unfamiliar with.. Oh and its a small harddrive, slim design.

Thanks ahead of time for any help that anyone could provide!  I'm really losing my mind on this one.. 

Regards,

Herbi

64 Posts

March 26th, 2010 19:00

:emotion-2:Hi you might have to go into the bios and disable the on board video card and enable your card slot that the new card is in that way it will use the new video card,make sure the monitor is in the new video card ,than to get duel monitors to work you need a pig tail cable,it would be like 2 cables coming out they could be one dvi and one vga, or maybe 2 dvi,or 2 vga. thats how you get the duel monitors set up not by using the system board video....Hope that helps.

Btw...you metioned you are using a slim line computer,make sure what ever video card you get meets the power suply minimum demand,aka if you have a 275 watt power suply dont through in a card thats minumin is 400 wattyou will burn out your power suply....good luck.

16 Posts

March 29th, 2010 13:00

Oh wow!  Thank you 'DataHog"!!  I hope I can figure that out..

I think I changed the BIOS already.  If I"m correct, was it something to where I can choose "PCI" or "ONBOARD"  (b/c those were the only to options in this particular section.. - sorry don't know which area I was in as I"m not too familiar with it.. But, I did press F2 to get there..)

This "Pig Tail" cable you refer too, what exactly is that??  Or, how do I set that up?  And, where would the cables be coming out of and going into?  Lastly, where do I get them?   (again, sorry for all the questions..)

I also don't know about the Power Supply so I think its best I just take it out till I find out... That too is something I don't know how to find either as I have tried already..

I was thinking of getting once again another Video Card.  This one I found through these forums as someone recommended it for the particular model I have (Inspiron 545s Slim - Win 7)  Here's the link:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102829     Do you think this one is ok?

The one I have is an "ATI Radeon x1300 128 PCIe"   (I think!)  -- Anyways, here is the link as to where I Bought it..  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230446474933&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

This would be wonderful to get this to work.  Not kidding, I've been trying to do this for months.  This also hasn't worked on my other computer either in connecting a 2nd monitor as I found out it could be b/c Vista has issues with it..  Anyways, thanks sooooooooooooooooo much for your input and help!

Marc

64 Posts

March 30th, 2010 19:00

:emotion-2:Hi herbii pci is the one,I saw the card you got on e-bay and that card will work as long as you have alot of ram in the computer,in short it has 128 megs of video ram-windows 7 needs 256megs of video ram- to support aero effect(glass apperance).so it will steel from your system ram to get it.That ati radeon card is made in a 256 meg vertion-same card just more ram...x1300 is good card but not great for gamming.....If you look at the conection on that card its a dvi conection so in order to get duel monitors set up you would need a-(Y)ADAPTOR- dvi to duel dvi of to dvi and vga,sorry for the word pig tail its a y adaptor.for duel monitors....

That card you showed on new egg will work but it might exceed your power suply,im pretty sure it takes a 400 wat power suply,check and see what your power suply is rated for,i run a card like that,im exceeding power recomendation, but im not playing intense video games....basiclly i dont give it a chance to heat up by drawing to much power.And no way am i sugesting to exceed the power recomendation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DVI-D-to-Dual-2-DVI-D-Video-Y-Splitter-Adapter-Cable_W0QQitemZ200454837254QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2eac0a1406

ABOVE COPY INTO BROWSER AND IT WILL SHOW YOU THE ADAPTOR FOR DVI TO DUEL DVI......Most newer monitors take dvi and vga,older ones are vga....

Anyways hope this points you in the right direction,GOOD LUCK RICH..btw let us no how you make out...kudos

16 Posts

March 30th, 2010 20:00

Ok, great!  I'll get that "pig tail"  "Y" adapter and try it out...

Just a few more questions.. I'm so sorry for loading all these questions on you..  you've been very helpful!

Ok, so I changed that 'feature' in my BIOS from "ONBOARD" to "PCI"..    There were also some other options i noticed where I could change "something" (don't know what it is..) from 128m to 256m..  and Video Memory I think from 1mb to 8mb.. But I didn't touch it b/c I didn't understand it..

the RAM I have is 6gb .. do you think that's enough?

Also, why then can't I use the original "VGA" port that came with the computer for ONE monitor?  And, then use this other port where I installed the ATI x1300 card into and use the 2nd monitor on that one?   Basically, why do I need to do this "Piggy Tail" configuration?     And, which port do I attach this Y adapter into?  The original monitor port?  Or the new one with this x1300 in?   I gather it will be the new slot with the ATI x1300...  I'll definitely let you know my progress!  I can't wait to get this working!

By the way, I use my PS3 and Wii for gaming..!  LOL!    I'm setting this up so I could trade more efficiently.  I trade currencies and stocks on the side and a dual monitor display would help make things way more efficient as I'm constantly switching screens and multi-tasking.. Which brings me to my next and probably most important question:  I don't want to "mirror" my display or 'duplicate' it?   I want to actually extend my desktop so I have two different screens to work from?  Will this "Y" adapter allow me to do this??

Oh, I tried checking up on the Power supply.. Be honest, I have NO idea..  I think I read somewhere that for a Insprion 545 it is 300..  But I have an Inspiron Desktop 545s.. don't know if that's the same.. I just Bing "power supply for 545s Inspiron" and that's what I came up with.. Not very good in looking up this stuff..   Being that I wont' be gaming I hope I wont' burn it out..  I'd rather have a less powerful graphics card than a superduper one as I just want to extend my display to a 2nd monitor!

You've been terrific!  Much better than Dell support!  Can't thank you enough and I'll keep you posted!

herbii

16 Posts

March 30th, 2010 20:00

Ohhhhhhhhh I just realized something.... As you said most newer monitors have the DVI port...   Unfortunately, even though both my Dell Monitors are very new they have the VGA port with the VGA cable..  I do have a VGA to DVI adapter though...  Do you know if I just buy a couple more of these and attach it to each end of this "Y" adapter that it should work?    

As I just posted in my recent reply.. I'm hoping to extend my display/desktop and NOT mirror it..   So, I don't know if this Y adapter or this VGA to DVI adapter will interfere in anyway with that..  Ok, I'm getting confused so I'm probably making you confused!  LOL..

Oh, here is a link to that adapter I was talking about:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119041&cm_re=dvi_to_vga-_-12-119-041-_-Product&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

Thanks!

64 Posts

March 31st, 2010 12:00

:emotion-2: Kind of confussing but here go's...you are basiclly disablling the onboard video card.(that is the one built into the main system board)the pci one that you enabbled is where all video will now be going through,(The card that you installed)the vga one on the computer is disabled and the card you put in will now be the only one that works...if both your monitors are vga than the y adaptor has to be dvi to vga(2).just do a serch on ebay they will have them.

If you have that card installed already use the adaptor you said you have and hock a monitor up to make sure thast the card is working..hope it is,the duel monitors when hocked up will be an exstention of your desk top when you get the mouse to the edge it will hop onto the other monitor...reel neat stuff...that way you can have apps running on one monitor while desk top is on first one.

Ps..Most times when you put the new video card into a system it will auto maticlly disable the on board video. You should go into the device manager and make sure that the video card is there and that the drivers for it installed fine. In other words no yellow marks next to it in device manager.

Your system memmory is fine you got lots of it.

Hope that helps and gets you further than you have been...rich

16 Posts

April 9th, 2010 17:00

I got the Dual DVI to 2 SVGA splitter and it did NOT work.  It only duplicates the desktop and does not allow me to extend the desktop...   Any other suggestions??    Thanks again for all your help!!

64 Posts

April 10th, 2010 19:00

Hi Herbii,your almost there ...if you have both monitors showing the desktop thats great,now alls you have to do is go into the disply properties and check the box to exstend my desktop...thats it than you should be set..Heres a video on the net that will help exsplan it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/157672/how_to_set_up_multiple_monitors.html

best of luck rich...

16 Posts

April 10th, 2010 20:00

I must thank you again for your kind attention to helping me..  I should've mentioned though that I did that.. it says "Unable to save entry" or something like that.. basically, it won't allow me to 'apply' the settings and extend displays..  I have a feeling I am now at a loss..   I've changed the BIOS, did everytyhing you said and still can't get it.. maybe I got the wrong type of splitter??   I'm gonna call support and perhaps pay to have them help me fix it.. b/c if they can't, then I don't ahve to pay so I really only have something ot gain..  I'll keep you posted.   I'm going to watch that video to see if i missed something and if it could help me any!

All the best my friend!  Thanks again!

64 Posts

April 11th, 2010 16:00

:emotion-2:Hi Herbii-you got me stumpped,it should be able to do it,you said you have a radeon 1300 with 128 megs of video ram .....ive got the same card but with 256 megs of video ram.

Maybe you just might need the most up to date video drivers now...(ati.com).Id try that,if that does not work maybe for some reason that card does not support duel monitors.

I no longer use my radeon 256meg card,Ive upgraded to a hd5570 was about a hundred bucks ,and it wants a 400 watt power suply so im pushing it but the card is rated as using very low power for the card.plus i dont play alot of big video games.

If you want to pay the shipping ill give you the card its at least 5 years newer than the one you have now.It also has the y adapter for duel vga monitors.Any ways try drivers first and if that does not work not sure what to tell ya but maybe a different card.....good luck rich...

No Events found!