Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2012 09:00

Adapter for Inspiron 2305 all-in-one

When I go to power on my Inspiron 2305 after it has been off all night, it will not boot up - i.e. the monitor turns on but nothing will load. I have to turn the computer off and on several times before it will 'catch' and suddenly start loading. I can then turn it off and back on during the day and it will load immediately.

I have had this problem since the first month and it is now 1 1/2 years old. I have had the computer to Geek Squad three times and they find no hardware problem, but they don't let it sit overnight and then try turning it on as that's when the problem occurs.

The adapter is Model DA130PE1-00. I cannot find a replacement on Dell website. Is it faulty? Have they changed the model number? Please help. After a year and a half of this I have had it.

1.8K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 09:00

Hi Akira75,

You can run Hardware diagnostics by following the steps below on your computer to check if it is an issue with that:

• Please restart the system.
  • As soon as you see the blue Dell logo tapping the ‘F12’ key which is at the top of the keyboard.

Note: If you wait too long and the Microsoft Windows appears, then continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Now shutdown your computer and try again.

• After we have pressed ‘F12’ key then a new window will appear. Now highlight the “Boot to utility partition” and press ‘Enter’ key which is at the center of the keyboard.

(If Boot to the Utility partition option is not there then you will have a “Diagnostics” option to select which starts the diagnostics directly.)

• Μake a note of any error message that you get on screen. 

In case the test passes and you still face the same issue, you can also update the BIOS of your computer to the latest version. 

Note: Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:-

• Adapter should be connected.
  • No external devices should be connected (like printers, scanners or any USB devices).
  • All other programs should be closed and documents saved. 

Link to download the BIOS of your computer is: 

http://dell.to/N8zWyh 

Steps to download ΒΙΟS:- 

• Click 'Download' to download the list to a folder you will designate.
  • Click 'Save'. Then designate the folder you would like to save the files to.
  • Once you have designated the folder you would like to save your files to, Click 'OK'.
  • Selected downloads will automatically start downloading. Next is Installation.
  • To start installation, Click Open folder. Right-click οn downloaded file and select the option to ‘Run as administrator’.
  • A small window will appear with 'Continue' and 'Exit' buttons, click 'Continue'.
  • In the Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to window, click OK.
  • If a message appears asking to create a folder, click 'Yes'. If a message appears asking to overwrite the folder, click 'Yes to All'.
  • In the All files were successfully unzipped window, click OK.
  • A new window will appear, follow the prompts that appear to finish the installation.
  • Restart your computer. 

Let me know the findings.

5 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 10:00

Hi Chinmay S

Thank you for your prompt response.

However, yesterday at Geek Squad they ran a diagnostic and found nothing wrong so they then updated the BIOS, thus both of your suggestions have already been handled. Still, this morning it wouldn't load, that's why I think it may be the adapter some way. Any suggestions on that?

1.8K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 11:00

Hi Akira75,

Since the Hardware diagnostics passed on your computer, then it is most likely an issue with the operating system of your computer. We can restore your computer to default factory settings.

Note: Before you proceed with that, I will advise you to take a complete backup of your data (pictures, music, applications ,videos and documents) as this step leads to complete data loss. Please disconnect all external peripherals (like printers, scanners or any USB device) connected to your computer as well.

Steps for the PC restore are as follow:-

• Restart your computer and tap 3-4 times when the Dell logo appears.
  • When 'Advanced Boot Options' menu appears, ‘Repair your Computer' is highlighted, press Enter. (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice).
  • Windows is loading files screen appears. Wait for it to load.
  • System Recovery Options prompt appears. Specify the language and keyboard input that you want, and then click ‘Next’.
  • Log in as a user who has administrative credentials; select the username from the drop-down list, type the password and click OK.
  • Choose a Recovery Tool Window appears, select Dell Data Safe Restore and Emergency Backup.
  • The Welcome screen will show 2 options; Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files and Select other System Backup and more options. Select the second option (Select other System Backup and more options) and click Next.
  • The next window shows these options; Backup Files and folders and Restore my computer. Select ‘Restore my computer’.
  • Select the Factory Image and click ‘Next’.
  • The next window shows 2 options; 'Preserve new or changed files before restoring to selected System Backup' and 'Restore without preserving new or changed files'. Select the second option (Restore without preserving new or changed files) and click Next.
  • A prompt appears stating that your computer is about to be restored all data currently on your computer will be deleted and replaced with your selected Full System Backup. If an Emergency File & Folder Backup was created, it will still be saved in the location you selected. Click 'Yes, continue' and click Next.
  • PC restore will initiate. Once done, click Restart.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to create a user account.

You can also refer to Article ID: 125843 on support.dell.com. Visit the website and enter the article ID in the search box.

I am adding you as a friend; please accept my friend request and send me a private message with the system Service Tag so that I can check the system warranty details and help you further.

Please reply in case you have further questions.

5 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 11:00

Thanks for the suggestion. Wow - that will take some time for me.

Sorry I do not understand this friend business.  Kinda leery of something like that. :-)

1.8K Posts

September 4th, 2012 12:00

Hi  Akira75,

Sure, take your time and please share the result once the steps are performed. I appreciate the concern about going the friend request way, but it's for your security. We want our customers to share system or customer specific information through the secure private message option, instead of sharing it publicly.

Please reply in case you have any further questions.

5 Posts

September 7th, 2012 13:00

No this was also not the answer. Am thinking of trying a new ac/dc adapter as the next step.

1.8K Posts

September 10th, 2012 14:00

Hi Akira75,

We have already tried running the diagnostics, it passed. PC restoring computer to default factory settings is causing the same issue. Everything seems to have checked out. There is a possibility that the connection between hard drive and motherboard is loose. I am adding you as a friend; please accept my friend request and send me a private message with the system Service Tag so that I can check the system warranty details and help you further.

5 Posts

September 10th, 2012 21:00

Geek Squad said it might be the motherboard but I have ordered a new AC/DC Adapter just as a possibility. If that doesn't correct it, as for it being the motherboard I might be done with this computer.

Also, the warranty ran out almost two years ago so any expense is mine.

1.8K Posts

September 12th, 2012 14:00

Hi  Akira75, 

I understand it's disappointing to be in such a situation. 

As per the details shared and as you suspect, there might be a possibility that the motherboard of the computer has gone bad. You can try a AC adaptor and see if it works and in case the issue is still there, you can get in touch with the local technician to get this issue fixed.

Please reply for further clarifications.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 30th, 2013 01:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                        

No Events found!