Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 6th, 2012 03:00

Adding 2nd hard drive to dell dimension 2400

Hi, I want to add a 2nd hdd to this computer I know it would probably be worth buying a new pc but its for my grandparents and it does what they need. I am aware that the cable for the hard drive only has one ide socket on it. But the ide cable to the cd-rom has two on it, one is currently unused could i use that to attach the hard drive?

thanks in advance for any help

91 Posts

January 6th, 2012 07:00

To answer your question directly and completely read this entire post... and also read the alternative solution at the very end.  

No, you can not use the secondary IDE connector on the secondary (optical drive) cable to mount a hard disk in the Dimension 2400.  The secondary controller and cable is intended for optical driver but a hard drive could work on it if you use a different cable.  You should find that the ribbon cable on the optical drive is the 40 pin type where as the ribbon cable on the hard drive is the finer 80 pin variety.  If you replace the IDE ribbon cable with an 80 pin variety then you should be able to run a hard drive on the secondary controller along with the optical drive but you will encounter issues mounting the drive in the secondary 'external' drive bay (below the optical drive).  The intended location for a second hard disk in the Dimension is right next to the primary hard drive.  Absent from the Dimension 2400 is a metal drive cage (or bracket) that piggy backs on the primary drive cage.  These can be had from Ebay for about $5 plus shipping (or send me a private message).  You will also need to replace the IDE ribbon cable from the single drive type that you noted to one that supports dual drives.  

A common and usually more practical solution for adding hard disk space in the Dimension 2400 is to simply clone the existing hard drive to a larger hard drive (by temporarily connecting both to the machine) and then removing the old/small drive from the system and mount the new larger drive internally as the sole drive in the system.  This has several benefits including eliminating confusion over the location of files (all will be on the primary drive 'C'), no need for a different IDE cable, no need for a hard drive mounting bracket, and no additional device demanding power from the power supply.

Or perhaps the simplest solution would be to purchase and external USB hard drive where data can be stored which would have the added benefit of making the transition to a new machine much easier when that time comes (simply move the external drive to the new machine).

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 6th, 2012 03:00

You should be able to replace the cable for the hard drive with a two connector type.  Put the original hard drive on the end connector and the new hard drive on the other connector.  The drive must be a PATA (IDE) type, NOT Sata, and set the device type for "Cable Select" (the same as the original drive).  

If the cables are long enough, just swap the two existing cables (swap them at the motherboard) and you will have a cable with two connectors for the hard drives.  

I haven't looked at the 2400's manual, but you may need special mounting "rails" to install a second drive.  Some Dell's that require the rails have them installed and others you have to get the rails.  Considering the age of the 2400, Dell probably no longer has parts.

January 6th, 2012 04:00

Thanks for you help mate.

But I'm still curious as to whether what I was asking earlier would work or not?

3 Posts

January 6th, 2012 04:00

Sorry, this is not a useful contribution to the debate, but a first timers question....

I have an E520 with 2 two150 GB hard drives C and D.  D is described as 'back up'.  It is currently empty.  How does this work? Is it for me to save things to D or is something supposed to happen automatically?

Also, the free Dell check from the website shows I have 600 faults in Registry.  Is this a lot and is it worth spending $35 or £25 on the fix they offer to sell me?

Many thanks 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 6th, 2012 06:00

What I posted will work.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

The 2400 uses the metal tray that locks onto another tray like the dimension B110/1100, 4600, 3000.

Dell Hard Drive Mounting Tray D/PN: 0T962 T962 for Dimension 1100, B110, 2300, 2350, 2400, 3000, 4600, and 4700. OptiPlex 160L, 170L, and 170LN.

0T962 Original Dell Hard Drive Mounting Tray D - Centrix Intl

when connecting it to the psu does it matter which wire I use to connect to the hdd since there are several that all look the same

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 6th, 2012 10:00

But I'm still curious as to whether what I was asking earlier would work or not?

If the ribbon cable is of the 40-pin type, no. But (as fireberd suggested), you can replace it with a new 80-pin cable at nominal cost. You will also need another hard drive bracket plus a screw, which can be sourced from eBay.

No Events found!