Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 14th, 2012 13:00

Adding RAID to Dell Dimension 9100

Machine working fine for years. 500 GB WD SATA HDD 4GB RAM 3GH.

Now, I want to install RAID1 as mirror. I do not care about data (it is all on server local HDD is temporary storage, but i can not afford to loose it in the middle of a project <=== Why I want RAID1).  So, reinstalling XP is no big deal to me. 

I put in a Hitachi Desk star 500 GB and it had no errors when formatted (as the original Western Digital 500GB drive had no errors). But, when I startup the machine I never see the Ctrl-C or Cntrl-A prompt to call the RAID on board manager. System just starts up XP.

I tried all the various SATA parameters ACHI, ATA OFF and COMBO, but I never get to see the on board RAID manager. I also tried to upgrade to the A03 BIOS and tried to update the Intel chipset. Nothing works.

What can i do.?

6.4K Posts

September 14th, 2012 14:00

In order to reach the Intel Option ROM setup screen, the SATA controller must be set to RAID On, RAID Autodetect/AHCI, or Normal, depending on the setting you have available.  Once you have that setting, you must then have two eligible hard drives attached to the controller ports.  Under that condition, you should see first the Dell logo as the computer goes through self test, followed by a screen that shows the status of the drives attached to the computer.  Pressing CTRL and i at the same time while the status screen is visible should bring up the Option ROM setup screen.

September 14th, 2012 17:00

100% verified answer in:

en.community.dell.com/.../20185279.aspx

Which says:

================================================================= .

Hi

I would suggest you to check RAID mode is enabled or disabled.

In case if its disabled please follow the below mentioned instruction to enable it.

1. Enter System Setup.

2. Use the up- and down-arrow keys to highlight Drives and press .

3. Use the up- and down-arrow keys to highlight SATA Operation and press .

4. Use the left- and right-arrow keys to highlight RAID On, press , and then press .

5. Use the left- and right-arrow keys to highlight Save/Exit and press to exit System Setup and resume the boot process.

After that I would request you to follow these steps to enable RAID 1 on the system.

1. Set your computer to RAID-enabled mode.

2. Press when you are prompted to enter Intel® RAID Option ROM.

3. Use the up- and down-arrow keys to highlight Create RAID Volume and press .

4. Enter a RAID volume name or accept the default and press .

5. Use the up- and down-arrow keys to select RAID1 (Mirror) and press .

6. If more than two hard drives are available, use the up- and down-arrow keys and space bar to select the two drives you want to use to make up your array and then press .

7. Select the desired capacity for the volume and press . The default value is the maximum available size.

8. Press to create the volume.

9. Press to confirm you want to create the RAID volume.

10. Confirm the correct volume configuration is displayed on the main Intel Option ROM screen.

11. Use the up- and down-arrow keys to select Exit and press .

12. Install the operating system.

Please reply me back for further help

Thanks & Regards

Prateek K

#iworkfordell

from

=================================================================

6.4K Posts

September 15th, 2012 15:00

I've never tried moving the disks once they were set up; more experienced folks have indicated that it should work as the data describing each disk is on the disk itself.  I think I would try to keep them in the same relative order, however.  By that I mean if you start with the disks on 0 and 1, I would move 0 to 2 and 1 to 3. 

September 14th, 2012 15:00

Hi - Thanks for the reply.  OK, I have things set as follows SATA 0 ON SATA 1 ON  RAID AHCI ON PATA 1 ON - But, I never get the status screen.  I tried pressing Ctrl-I without it and it just boots into windows.  Any further suggestions?  Thanks again.

6.4K Posts

September 14th, 2012 16:00

Do you get the drive status screen I mentioned earlier?  Also, are you certain you have no RAID On setting?  My E520 and XPS 410 (a variation on the Dimension 9200) both have that setting, and the Dimension 9100 was produced after the E520 and before the XPS 410.  You must have the drive status screen or something is still not right.

Also, I would suggest moving your RAID drives to the third and fourth SATA ports (SATA 2 and SATA 3).  My XPS 410 seems to like the RAID drives better in that position, and it leaves your SATA 0 port clear in the event you want to have a single system drive.  SATA 0 is the only port that will automatically boot from a single drive on most Dells.

September 14th, 2012 17:00

Thanks for this information.  I have already setup SATA 0 and 1 as I did not see this until now.  But I will save this information.  I just may want to do this single drive boot.  The answer that solved my problem is here:

BUT, I would like to ask:  After XP is setup RAID1 using SATA 0 and 1 and all is working, can I turn off machine and reconnect to SATA 2 and 3 and still have an OS?  Or, would I have to start from the beginning?  Thanks.

September 15th, 2012 12:00

Good answer.  Works.

September 15th, 2012 12:00

Good answer.  Works.

September 16th, 2012 08:00

Yes.  That sounds logical according to my experience with SATA.  I hope I do not have to do it, but if I do whether it works or not I will do my best to come back and report.  Thanks again.  God bless!

4.4K Posts

May 29th, 2013 06:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                      

No Events found!