Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

6 Posts

September 29th, 2013 05:00

Adding a SSD to Dell Optiplex 760 SFF

Hi all, I recently obtained an Optiplex 760 SFF. It's a couple of years old but still runs pretty well. It has a Core Duo 2.5ghz processor, 4GB DDR2 ram and a 80GB HDD. I was hoping to use it as a home computer and to speed it up slightly was thinking of adding a SSD to the unit. Have any of you done this? Do you know if it'll work? From what I see there are two SATA ports on the motherboard, one of which is currently being used for the system hard drive. At present the unit does not have a disk drive, so I was going to put the extra storage drive there. Ideally I'd like the Windows OS on the SSD and all my documents/pictures on a standard HDD. If any of you have had experience of this, or know if it's possible, I'd love your comments.

Thanks in advance, Chris

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 26th, 2015 00:00

can somebody from Dell support answers the last question? does esata on 760 is power over esata type?

4 Posts

April 26th, 2015 08:00

My answer is to DZEBRYS question about the EXTERNAL eSATA port.

can somebody from Dell support answers the last question? does esata on 760 is power over esata type?

Powered eSATA is called "eSATAp". The eSATA port on the rear of the Optiplex 760 chassis is not eSATAp. The Desktop, Mini Tower, and Small Form Factor chassis provide one external standard eSATA (7-pin data only, NO POWER). The Ultra Small Form Factor chassis provides no external eSATA.

So, the only way to install additional SSD data and power is by using the internal adapter methods described by Speedstep and others on this and the previous page of this discussion.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 28th, 2015 08:00

It will work fine or NOT AT ALL based on the case size. The official way to do it in most dells is to get the 2.5 to 3.5 blue plastic adapter R494D that snaps into the 3.5 inch drive holder. You can also use the Silverstone adapter has all the mount points of a standard 3.5" hard drive, and it's only $8 with free shipping. It holds two 2.5" devices stacked just like the R494D does.

The tower has no issues but the DT SFF and USFF may exibit the following error:

HDD replacement is not valid, continued use may result in long term HDD reliability issues, please press F1 if you would like to continue, and/or call Dell for replacement HDD.

Drives must be Western Digital or Samsung hard drives, due to thermal constraints.

No Events found!