Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2011 05:00

Adding a larger Hard Drive

I have a DIM 4500 and I just got a new 320GB Hard Drive , But my computer will only use  up to 120GB of the space and says thats all there is.

How can I get it to accept the larger hard drive?

Thanks, rtleggettsr

64 Posts

January 4th, 2011 06:00

Its possible that when you put the operating system back on because the image was take from a 120gig harddrive that is that size partition the computer created. The rest of the space is probably just kicking around enjoying its idle time.

It all depends on the operating system you use to give you the most accurate description but i will give you an attempt at a generic solution.

• Right click my computer and click the menu option manage.
  • A new window appears click on the section disk management. Be very careful around here as you could cause wipe the computer!

You should see disk 0 and it should say 320gig.

What you may find is a section of 120gig with a blue bar across the top showing what has been partitioned and another section with a black bar at the top which should be the rest of the space unallocated. You can make it into another partition say a (d: drive) or you could possible extend the c: . Right click the unallocated space to add new partition or its right click the primary partition to choose to extend the c:. WARNING what ever you do .... do not delete, format or change drive letter of your primary partition otherwise you will be in trouble and its likely to be reinstallation of windows time.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 4th, 2011 11:00

rtleggettsr

The 4500 model doesn't require a BIOS update. All BIOS versions for that model already have 48-bit LBA support for hard drives larger than 137gb.

As already stated, you need a  XP-SP1 or higher reinstallation disc.

Bev.

6.4K Posts

January 4th, 2011 11:00

How are you attempting to reinstall the OS, or are you cloning the original drive to the 320 GB?  If you are using a program to clone the drive you should find an option to expand the original partition into the full size of the new drive.  If you are performing an installation with a Windows installation CD, you must have an installation disk that includes Service Pack 1 as a minimum.  The original edition of Windows XP only sees drives up to 137 GB in size.

With regard to the computer itself, I'm pretty certain that the Dimension 4500 has BIOS support for drives larger than 137 GB.  To find out, start the computer, press F2 during the self test to go to system setup and navigate to the menu item for the hard drive.  This should report the full size of the drive.

No Events found!