Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 3rd, 2016 08:00

Adding a second drive to my Optiplex 755

I bought a refurbished Optiplex 755 a few months back which came with a floppy (really?). I decided to add a second drive so I removed the floppy and put a Seagate 750Gb drive in its place. I went into setup and enabled the drive, rebooted, went back into setup to verify that the drive was recognized which it was. BUT now every time I restart the machine I get the black screen with the following:

HDD replacement is not valid, continued use may result in long term HDD reliability issues please press F1 in you would like to continue.

It also gives me the choice of pressing F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup or F5 to run tests.

I press F1 and it boots normally.

My question is how or what do I do to eliminate this black screen? Because if I restart and leave the system sits here and waits for ever.

Thanks for your help.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 5th, 2016 17:00

The DT, SFF, USFF systems REQUIRE specific model Western Digital or SAMSUNG drive. HDD replacement is not valid  is specific to 745 and 755 SFF and USFF systems.

The DT, SFF, USFF models will have a thermal message.  The tower model does not care about the Drive Type.  it is due to "thermal considerations".

Dell 755 Desktop is configured to reject anything but a Western Digital or Samsung hard drive, claiming it is due to "thermal considerations".  This is for the Desktop and SFF and USFF models.

'HDD replacement is not valid' Message on Dell Optiplex Computer - KB Article - 329305 | Dell

1 Rookie

• 

87 Posts

June 4th, 2016 18:00

Hi, update the BIOS to the latest. I think that was a warning older BIOS gave with non-Dell brand drives installed.

3 Posts

June 5th, 2016 11:00

Thanks for the feedback. I just updated the BIOS from A09 to A22 and it still has the problem. Any other suggestions?

3 Posts

June 6th, 2016 08:00

Thanks for the explanation, I guess I'll just have to live with it or get one of those drives mentioned.

Thanks again.

8 Posts

June 7th, 2016 10:00

Greetings:

I really appreciate this posting thread on adding a second hard drive.

Only Western Digital or Samsung ?

My Optiplex 755 currently has a SEAGATE 232 GB internal hard drive

Could I not simply purchase another SEAGATE for the second hard drive, or does it have to be a WD or Samsung ?

I want to completely backup my current hard drive to a second hard drive BEFORE attempting to upgrade the 755 to Windows 10.  Does anyone know if this operating system upgrade to Windows 10 has already been successfully attempted ?

Thank you kindly for any advice you could pass along.

8 Posts

June 7th, 2016 10:00

Hello again !

I noticed that I could purchase the *same* SEAGATE 250 GB hard drive that came in my 755 Optiplex from a seller on AMAZON for around $57 ( new ).

www.amazon.com/.../ref=dp_olp_new

Would this be a viable option Or would the second hard drive have to be a WD or Samsung ?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 8th, 2016 15:00

The bios looks for Western Digital Green or Samsung.  No other options.

8 Posts

June 9th, 2016 08:00

Thank you SO MUCH for your response.

Western Digital GREEN

Please tell me what you mean by GREEN ?

Also, could someone recommend a Western Digital 250 GB internal 3.5 inch hard drive. 

Could I go to newegg.com and simply purchase a Western Digital ?

Thank you kindly.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 9th, 2016 09:00

WD20EARS

Caviar Green 250 Gig drives have not been made for many years now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4A049M0114

8 Posts

June 9th, 2016 09:00

Hmm .. thanks again for your quick reply.

The drive you suggest is 2 TB plus $114.99 [ouch] and I only need 250 GB because I'm using software to completely copy and backup my existing drive ( before I attempt to upgrade to Windows 10 ).

Since you have suggested a WD green drive, what is your opinion of this WD green drive I found selling on Amazon for $29.30 ? ( see below )

OR - could you suggest a suitable Samsung 250 GB drive.

Western Digital AV-GP 250GB SATA/300 5400RPM 8MB Hard Drive

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-AV-GP-250GB-5400RPM/dp/B006X6SCKK?ie=UTF8&keywords=Western%20Digital%20Green%20250%20GB&qid=1465482089&ref_=sr_1_1&s=electronics&sr=1-1

No Events found!