Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 8th, 2012 15:00

Adding a second hard drive to my new Inspiron 620

My old (2008) inspiron 530 died a few days ago.  I believe the power supply or mother board went south.  Anyway I bought a new inspiron 620 and would like to add my old hard drive to it.  The old hard drive was a 500G western digital with windows vista.  I have some information I would like to get off of it.  Can I add the drive as a slave?  I searched several sites including Dell but could not find any info.  The new computer has a slot for an additional hard drive in it.  Any help would be appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 8th, 2012 16:00

Saugeyejoe

Unfortunately Dell does not has any documentation for installing an additional hard drive in the Inspiron 620 available, but to install a second hard drive, you will need a set of rails, that are located inside the case

Maybe the discussion HERE can help.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 8th, 2012 18:00

Saugeyejoe

The SATA cable from the Inspiron 530 should work fine, if it is long enought and has one end with a 90* connector.

Use the motherboard SATA 1 connector and after installing the hard drive, check the system setup, to see that the SATA port the drive is connected too, is enabled [on] and the hard drive is recognized.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

Thanks shesagordie.  The thread helped but still have a question or two.  The old sata cable from the old computer will work?  If so which slot do I plug it into?  Do I have to set something up in bios?  Thanks for your help.

Thanks.  I'll give it a try in the morning........  I appreciate your help!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 8th, 2012 20:00

Saugeyejoe

:emotion-21:

Bev.

May 10th, 2012 16:00

Thanks, everything worked fine.  The 620 actually came with rails.......

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 10th, 2012 16:00

Saugeyejoe

Pleased to hear that the installation went well.

Appreciate the heads up about the rails, was not certain if Dell included them inside the chassis.

Bev.

No Events found!