Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2008 08:00

Adding local inventory number into the Optiplex 755 BIOS

Is there a way to do this from Windows or via SMS/SCCM?

We need to automate our inventory procedcures, and, this will help a lot by letting us gather both Service Tag and Local Inventory Number remotely.

Thanks.

27 Posts

May 15th, 2008 20:00

Maybe you can do something with DCCU from Dell but I'm not sure.

232 Posts

May 16th, 2008 00:00

That probably USED to work, but, with latest version of OMCI, Dell prevents it from working (although I understand there's an unapproved work-around).

I know I can also use the Altiris Dell Client Manager, but, was looking for something that used the tools I have.

Thanks.

232 Posts

July 1st, 2008 15:00

Yes, our internal Asset Tag.

With SCCM SP1, I can talk to VPro, so, may try that.

I was really just looking to put this in by our Cloning staff, when we first get the computer...as, it'll never change...

Thanks.

33 Posts

By "Local Inventory Number" do you mean "Asset Tag"?  If so, you can install OMCI and get it using WMI through the OMCI namespace.  As far as I am aware, you should be able to plug this into SMS/SCCM, but I haven't tried that specifically.

33 Posts

Not sure if VPro can be used to set Asset Tag...  OMCI should be able to (or DCCU as mentioned before).  I will check on my 755 with OMCI and post here.

232 Posts

July 1st, 2008 16:00

I had TRIED to use DCCU with the latest version of OMCI, and...they are incompatible...

Unless they JUST released a new version of DCCU?

33 Posts

July 1st, 2008 16:00

The last Dell released DCCU that I know of is 1.2.1.

I just set the Asset Tag on my 755 using OMCI directly (through a CIM browser).  I believe that you could do it through SMS/SCCM, but as I said before, I am not sure and have not tried.  However, you can do this through a CIM browser (like wbemtest or CIM Studio) or via vbscript.  I could post a vbscript here if that would be helpful...  I could also direct you to the MOF info if that would help you get it into SMS/SCCM, but other than pointing you to the MOF, I'm not sure that I could be much help since I do not know SMS or SCCM.

232 Posts

July 1st, 2008 18:00

What CIM Browser software do you use?

Thanks!

33 Posts

July 1st, 2008 19:00

I mostly use "WMI CIM Studio".  It's free, just do a search on "wmitools".  It isn't too bad.

BTW, (just in case this helps) the OMCI namespace is root\dellomci and you can find all the Dell classes by doing a "find" in the namespace for "Dell_" since all of the Dell classes start with that.

232 Posts

July 1st, 2008 23:00

Thanks!
No Events found!