Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2009 20:00

After intstalling the latest itunes to support my IPOD my CD drivers won't function.

I just installed the latest itunes to support my new IPOD & now I can't access either of my CD drives.  The error message reads:

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

165 Posts

August 5th, 2009 10:00

of course. shouldn't there be a law that states that you can't install apple software on a windows machine?

seriously though, I do not know what the precise origins of this problem is, but you will probably have to uninstall/reinstall your CD device drivers?

what machine model and operating system?

what do you see in "system properties | hardware | device manager"?

what do you see in the pre-boot bios/setup screen?

2 Posts

August 5th, 2009 13:00

I actually have tried unistalling the device & device driver several times & when I attempt to  reinstall the hardware, the devices are found but I get a little yellow warning icon that says they probably won't function properly.  I've got a Dell machine running XP.  I'll try looking at the pre-boot /setup screen when I boot up next time.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 5th, 2009 14:00

TerryOley,

The fix would have to come from Apple.

2.2K Posts

August 5th, 2009 15:00

Chris,

I found the link you provided interesting. No fewer than three drives were replaced by Dell. Considering how small that thread was, and how many customers Dell has, obviously three is a drop in the bucket for what this problem, caused by poor Apple software, has caused Dell.

1.) People wonder why dell tries to troubleshoot before replacing parts? This thread sums it up well.

2.) Huge irony in the fact that people constantly espouse how stable apple products are, yet they apparently cannot even correctly support their biggest selling item....

Maybe Apple is not a perfect company after all... :emotion-4:

No Events found!