Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 21st, 2013 14:00

Alienware X51 changing GPU will I void my warranty?

Hi, I have an Alienware x51 and like I said I am planning on changing my GPU. Right now I am considering either a 660ti or a 670. What I want to know is will I void my warranty? I have a one year warranty. I really don't want to void that. But I do want to play my games at max. Something my 640 is currently not capable of doing. If it will void my warranty is there anyway to circumnavigate this?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 21st, 2013 17:00

Either way, you wouldn't void the warranty by replacing the video card...but...if anything should go wrong, Dell can ask you to restore the original hardware configuration before they provide warranty support.

254 Posts

February 21st, 2013 16:00

The x51 has an external 240 watt power supply ... it can't supply enough watts to run a 660ti or 670

February 22nd, 2013 17:00

I have been able to find my answer on Alienware.com,

However, I would like to think you for your responses.

@eternalozzie

My X51 utilizes the 330 watt. And why'll that is a  bit iffy I am willing to give it a go. Many others have installed the same graphics card in their X51 and had success.  If something does go wrong I will simply return the card. In all honesty I would like to have a more powerful psu. However, I have not been able to find one that is external such as my X51 requires. There is rumored to be a 600 watt external but I have not found such an item.

No Events found!