Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2006 14:00

All sorts of different errors on 8300...

Wow, this is a fun one!

The Dimension 8300 is at it again. The problem that I have is this: I cannot identify the problem because I keep getting different errors.

In general, the computer will not boot at all. It gives POST beeps: 1 long, 3 long, 2 long. However, when it has been sitting for a while, it will boot normally.

When it does boot, it will operate normally for a while, and then give me a random STOP error (so far I've gotten 0x0000000A, 0x00000050, and 0x0000004E). The first two were page faults in nonpaged areas, and the last one was a corrupt PFN list. When it dumps the memory and restarts, it's back to the POST error.

I'm inclined to think that it's the RAM, although I really hope not because Dell just had to replace one of the modules around a month ago. I downloaded the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool from Microsoft and have actually been able to run it twice. Once it seemed to finish, came up wth no errors, but it froze and I couldn't exit the program. The second time, I tried running the extended tests. It froze in the middle of test 4 (sorry, I don't remember which one that is).

If anyone has a definite diagnosis or knows where I can possibly get an answer, I would be most appreciative!!

16 Posts

May 16th, 2006 16:00

Oh boy. Just got a new STOP error to aded to the list: 0x0000008E. This one doesn't list the type of error.

16 Posts

May 16th, 2006 16:00

And yet another one! This time it's 0x000000D1, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

16 Posts

May 17th, 2006 22:00

You know what? I removed the RAM piece I just had replaced, and voila, it works again. Now I have a new question: Anyone know what could cause 2 different pieces of RAM in the same slot to go bad inside of two months?
No Events found!