Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

September 24th, 2008 20:00

Another Dell Cheapo

I just loaded up my One Click DVD copier only to have 3 out of 4 different brands of dvd fail to write only dvd rw would work (Maxell)  something wrong here I though so I went over to my Dem. 8400 and every brand worked just fine so Im guessing Dell has put a cheap cd\dvd player writer thinking who cares Its a gaming computer (Dell Pride haha )I guess anything to save a penny

Still sorry about this machine an still hate it and will never buy from Dell again unless things change

D

513 Posts

September 24th, 2008 22:00

If this is a XPS 630, try stopping the process ntuneserve.exe and attempt to burn the DVDs again.  This process does all sorts of odd things to optical drive operation.

Usually Dell CD and DVD drives are solid mainstream units. 

36 Posts

September 24th, 2008 23:00

Elk this file is not on my computer that i can find. Looked in process's searched for it in all files an folders  iincluding hidden

513 Posts

September 25th, 2008 00:00

Nuts.  This file can create all sorts of headaches.

The next thing I can think of is to uninstall the nVidia ESA program.

As a separate issue, does the computer recognize the contents of burned DVDs?  That is, can it read the files or does it think the DVD is a blank?

These sorts of issues are usually caused by software and not hardware.

You probably have already thought of this, but make sure the firmware on your optical drives is up to date. 

475 Posts

September 25th, 2008 03:00

dwebber,

There have been reports that uninstalling the Power DVD program would fix this problem. Try this if you have it in Add/Remove Programs. Then try the drive. Reinstall the program. Try again... uninstall again if there is no help. 

Try to uninstall Nvidea Performance in Add/Remove Programs (in control Panel). It made my old 630i optical/virtual drives work. Unless something has changed, this will leave you without fan control however. Try this as you can always reinstall it later. I wish I had easier advice for you.

Sean

36 Posts

September 25th, 2008 17:00

Elk yes the drive read's files and playes games and movies,properties reads used and free space.

shdb. I have uninstalled powerdvd before and tried to reinstall Roxio creator it could not remove all the Roxio files (don't remember which ones) so I just reinstalled them,I also need my fan control to play Crysis I only have one card and it over heats in Crysis with out the fan revied up some

475 Posts

September 25th, 2008 18:00

dwebber,

Unfortunately you seem to have received a LEMON. Push hard for a refund... be relentless. they will succumb. What you have will not be fixed, Don't waste your time with TS.

Sean

513 Posts

September 25th, 2008 18:00

I'm stumped. You have tried everything I know of to check.

You do indeed need control of the GPU fan. Those cards get hot when under load. Just to check however, have you tried removing the nVidia ESA/Performance programs? (Sean and I are referencing the same thing).
No Events found!