Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

NC

January 29th, 2012 11:00

Anyone Running SSDs in RAID 0 on Precision T5400 (or similar workstation)?

I'm genuinely interested in whether one can gain the huge throughput advantages of RAID 0 and retain the seek time advantages of SSDs together.

Currently I'm running a RAID 0 drive C: on a Precision T5400 and getting great speed (over 200 MB/sec), but I feel a lot of time is being spent waiting for the spinning drives to seek.  Seems to me putting several good SSDs to the task could eliminate this, as well as multiply the even higher individual SSD transfer speeds, just as with spinning drives, also resulting in a sufficiently large partition that one doesn't always have to skimp on disk space.

Am I missing something important here?

-Noel

February 9th, 2013 16:00

FYI, In April 2012 I built a RAID 0 array of four 480GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSDs using a Highpoint 2720SGL PCIe controller card.  I used it in my T5400 and moved it to my T5500 when I upgraded.

It has performed flawlessly and the speed (1.7 gigabytes/second) exceeded my expectations and it still "excites and amazes" to this day.  

Building an SSD array is the best investment in computer hardware I've made, bar none.

-Noel

No Events found!