Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

December 1st, 2012 14:00

Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.

"Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed."

I get this error every so often, and I get all sorts of lines and distortion on my screen, and it eventually just crashes into a BSOD. But I'll give some background to it:

About a year or so ago, the problem first happened when I was running Windows Vista, so I upgraded to Windows 7 32-bit, and I never saw the problem ever again until about 2 months ago. It's just been off and on since then. I've updated my BIOS, and done every recommended update through the Drivers portion of the site relative to my computer.

My biggest thing is that a new graphics card isn't financially possible for me at the moment, and I was wanting to know if there might possibly be any other work-around or anything for it, or if anyone else has had this issue, and had a fix.

My Graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2. I currently have it uninstalled so I can make this post without having a BSOD. But I'll post my system specs on a DXDiag File.

Any help would be appreciated!

1 Attachment

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi Zwix,

Have you tried the AMD driver?

7 Posts

I have. I've tried updating it completely, uninstalling it from scratch, removing any leftover drivers with DriverSweeper, etc. Still having the same problem.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 1st, 2012 15:00

Ok, please run the diagnostics on your video card from the F12 utility partition.

7 Posts

December 1st, 2012 17:00

Alright. So I ran the diagnostics, and also ran the Transformation and Lighting Stress Test, and the Multiple Rendering DX9 Test. Everything passed with no problems.

Now, something interesting happened earlier. I had my computer just sitting on the Desktop running in Safe Mode with Networking, which is how I made my original post. It was like that for about an hour or 2 and when I came back my screen was distorted and had lines and such on it again, but the part that gets me was that my graphics card was completely uninstalled. My computer didn't even register that it was in the slot. Is it possible for the problem to still exist even when the graphics card technically isn't there?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2012 04:00

In safe mode, drivers are not loaded, so you wouldn't expect to see your video card.

Honestly, I would think about performing a clean installation of Windows 7. Since you have 4GB of RAM, you might get slightly better performance from the 64-bit version (your license supports either).

7 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 09:00

I'm willing to give it a shot. I never thought I could run 64 bit and honestly never thought to try. I've done a clean install a few times with 32bit. Could 64 really make a difference? Just out of curiosity.

7 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 10:00

Okay, so... I upgraded to 64-bit. I updated my video card, and was running Windows Updates, and all of a sudden, I come back from taking the trash out, and my screen is completely covered in black and blue hyphens. :(

7 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 11:00

I went ahead and was able to work through it and have the image posted. Anybody have any ideas? :/

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8335/img0181xy.jpg

7 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 16:00

I was able to get GData Antivirus and malwarebytes installed. Also installed WoW to test it. Had no issues at all during installation. I boot up the game with no issues. I close it, and the AMD Display Driver stops responding and it starts going crazy. So, I guess it really is just my video card. I was hoping for some sort of fix or something. Doesn't seem like that's possible outside of a new card.

No Events found!