Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2009 09:00

Audio Driver for a Dimension 9100

The only driver that Dell offers for this desktop Audio driver is not hte correct one.  It says there is no hard ware that supports the driver.  This is the original Sound card that came with the desktop.  I am rebuilding for a friend and I cannot get the ausio to work.  Any suggestions?

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

January 13th, 2009 10:00

First, by rebuild do you mean reformat and reinstall the OS?  If so, Dell has a recommended order to install drivers:  Desktop System Software (under utilities), Chipset, then the remaining drivers (video, audio network, etc.).   Missing chipset driver may be the problem; without it the OS may not be able to identify all the motherboard hardware, including audio.    If that's the case, installing it in Safe Mode may be a good idea to prevent any existing drivers you've already installed from interfering with the chipset identification.

Second, is it integrated audio, or a separate sound card?  Integrated is the Sigmatel.  For whatever reason Dell doesn't always list drivers for the OEM sound cards.

2 Posts

January 13th, 2009 11:00

Yes I did reformat and reinstalled the OS.  I did install the Chip set driver after the audio did not work then I tried the Audio again wiht the same results.  It is a separate sound card that came with the system.  Dell should supply the driver but I cannot even talk to anyone or submit my problem without paying.  I guess I will have to remove the card to see who made it and go directly to the manufacturer.

No Events found!