Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 28th, 2010 11:00

Audio Jacks on Rear of Inspiron 546

I recently got round to purchasing the logitech x-540 5.1 speaker system after having my computer for around 10 months

i started to set up the speakers and to my amazement i found out that i only have 3 jacks on the rear of the pc, 1 pink, 1 green and one blue

i should however have one green, one orange and one black according to the manual plus at the time of ordering my pc i did have Audio Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital capability on my order

i also took out 3Yr In-Home Warranty Support, including evenings and Saturdays but cant seem to be able to chat to anyone online or have any response to my emails?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 28th, 2010 13:00

According to the Dell manual there are 3 additional jacks located immediately above the three you reference.  Check again in case you overlooked them.  They are white (grey) black and orange.

Dell Manual

If they are still missing you only option is to call Dell Support.  They are the only ones that can get the motherboard replaced (if that's what is needed) under warranty.  We are only users helping users on here.

18 Posts

March 29th, 2010 10:00

You have only the jacks you listed.  The integrated 7.1 Dolby is through the HDMI connector only.

March 29th, 2010 10:00

There are Two versions of the Inspiron 546. The slim version and the mini version. The slim version has 6 ports for audio and the mini only has 3. For your system to have the 6 audio integrated ports, your system should be the Inspiron 546s. ("s" stands for slim)

http://xps-resource.blogspot.com 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 29th, 2010 13:00

There is the 546MT and the 546ST.  The Dell manual for the "MT" model is what I referenced with the standard 6 audio I/O jacks. The Dell manual for the ST model HERE also shows the 6 jacks.

2 Posts

March 30th, 2010 06:00

is it only possible to call them on the chargeable number???? i definately only have the 3 jacks mentioned above

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 30th, 2010 15:00

I have no info on the sevice number(s) for UK. 

18 Posts

March 30th, 2010 20:00

There really is no use in calling.  There are no "hidden" extra jacks anywhere to be found.  The 7.1 Dolby surround is supported *ONLY THROUGH THE HDMI PORT*.  I have already posted this earlier in this thread.  The 546mt, of which I own one, has only three audio connectors in the back, no surround sound connectors. 

Once again, just so that you fully understand:

on the Dell Inspiron 546mt, Dolby 7.1 output is supported only through the HDMI port. 

1 Message

November 15th, 2010 08:00

I have the same issue with my unit. After months of harrassing Dell, I finally got a technical support guy who knew his stuff, and revealed that the 3 jacks on the back serve multiple roles, which are configurable. It is in no way intuitive, and unfortunately I didn't take notes during the process. What I had connected was {R L}=green, {RR RL}=pink. Pink is usually Line In, but you must go into the configuration and turn it off. Blue is supposed to be the center or woofer channel in a 5.1 arrangement, but I never tried it: quad is enough for me.

Dell really cocked this one up. Links on the product support page take you to the wrong manuals, and their manuals are all inconsistent with the product. or specific model. And for some reason their database shows my 546st as being a laptop, where it is most certainly a slim tower. Now that the pink port is dead, they are sending a replacement motherboard, and I have little confidence that they will be sending the right part. We'll see...

No Events found!