Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2016 03:00

BIOS Boot strange behaviour ?

Hello, I have an Alienware aurora R4, bios updated to A11.

My hdd is failing. I planned to replace it. This morning the system crash (it's normal since the hdd is failing). Then it was long to restart. I then hold the power button to manually shut down.

But the system shut down during the bios loading. Since then, when booting, I hear a long sound after the bar fully loaded. I can't access boot option, can't access bios. I tried booting up a ssd, managed to go to the desktop. Though, my windows 10 copy did not managed to activate.

I told myself maybe the system tries to boot a saved faulty drive that is not there anymore, I tried to change boot order.When restarting, I still can't go to boot option. When I do so, it goes to a black screen with a white dash blinking. Even when trying to boot the system, it feels really, really slow, like if the success of windows 10 booting was random.

All those things are strange and worrying to me.

What's going on ?

Thank you.

19 Posts

August 9th, 2016 06:00

Something new I noticed, everything is slow before the system launch, even the motherboard sounds. I can now in fact go to the boot menu, but changing options lags. When running a diagnostic, there were always a stock fan that failed the test, the beep that can be heard is "slow", I don't know how to explain, but it feels like the beep sound got extended and last 5 sec instead of 0.5 sec. Booting the system is slow.

I'm afraid the mother board is dying. I don't know if that's the case, and what caused that.

Any help ?

Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 9th, 2016 11:00

You'll probably get a better response if you re-post this in the Alienware Club forum.

No Events found!