Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 29th, 2013 13:00

BIOS Resets to 2007 After Power Failure

My wife's Inspiron 530S running Vista SP2, 32 bit, 2.0 GHz, 4 GB memory, has BIOS that reverts to Jan. 2007 date/time setting if we have a whole house power failure that is more than momentary.  When this happens email doesn't work and I think other services also don't work properly although I'm not sure about this.  We discover the problem when my wife doesn't get recent emails.  When I reset the date either in the BIOS or the notification area, everything works fine until the next power failure.  This doesn't happen if there is a normal shutdown of the computer.  I haven't tried pulling the plug to see if that complete loss of power to the computer resets the clock function, but I assume that it does.  I've thought about using the Repair function on the Vista disk, but dislike the idea of having to reload all of the updates for 5 years.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 29th, 2013 15:00

CMOS battery

500 Posts

October 29th, 2013 19:00

To elaborate, the CMOS battery is correct. Try reseating the battery to make sure it is not simply losing contact. Otherwise, the battery may need to be replaced. 

41 Posts

October 30th, 2013 20:00

Thank you.  Now that you remind me, I changed the CMOS battery about a year or two ago.  I can't remember why I changed it at that time; but I think it was for this problem. Since it didn't solve the problem, I had forgotten that it had been changed.  Maybe, as you suggest,  the battery wasn't properly reinserted.  Who knows!  I have three Dell computers from 2007, and I seem to spend half my life trying to fix one thing or another.  I have replaced the power supply and the optical drive and the CMOS battery on this computer, but it still runs fast.  I'll check the CMOS battery again.  Thanks.  PS - I'm trying to solve another much worse problem that may be a virus, so I'll work on that before I get to the battery.  I'll reply then and either close the file or extend it with my results.

41 Posts

October 30th, 2013 20:00

Thank you.  Now that you remind me, I changed the CMOS battery about a year or two ago.  I can't remember why I changed it at that time; but I think it was for this problem. Since it didn't solve the problem, I had forgotten that it had been changed.  Maybe the battery wasn't properly reinserted.  Who knows!  I have three Dell computers from 2007, and I seem to spend half my life trying to fix one thing or another.  I have replaced the power supply and the optical drive and the CMOS battery on this computer, but it still runs fast.  I'll check the CMOS battery again.  Thanks.  PS - I'm trying to solve another much worse problem that may be a virus, so I'll work on that before I get to the battery.  I'll reply then and either close the file or extend it with my results.

No Events found!