Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 28th, 2013 14:00

BIOS download from DELL not the correct one? DELL VOSTRO 220s

Hope someone can help me here.   I recently acquired a Dell Vostro 220s with WIn7 64bit. 

My mobo is  Dell 09301D/ G45M03  with BIOS version 1.1.14 (04/17/2009)

I could not find any other company  who may have made the mobo other than DELL.  Ive also not found any answers to my question in the miles of search threads here. I could be missing something??

DELL drivers support is telling me to update my BIOS to: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails/Product/vostro-220s?driverId=R272986&osCode=ww1&fileId=2731114514&languageCode=en&categoryId=BI

Which is Version 1.3.0

I downloaded the EXE provided;  tried running it numerous ways. .    I also tried flashing the BIOS with a USB flash key only to get an error saying this version is not compatible..  I tried using the earlier versions; but also nothing is happening.

So after 4 days of researching and finding nothing to fix the issue; Ive joined this community to see if someone may have the correct answer  or BIOS?

:emotion-43::emotion-9:

Thank you for your time folks.

Ox

12 Posts

July 4th, 2013 13:00

SOLVED!   So today I took out another hard drive and tried to load Win XP 32bit; but kept getting the blue screen error message. Finally I solved this by looking in the BIOS and setting HDD to:   ATA instead of AHCI  which took all of  2hours to figure out ...    O_O

Then the XP insallation disk would load my new Operating system.

Once connected to the internet, I went straight to Internet explorer and downloaded IE 8.

Which let me read and download from the Dell website with no problem.

You may have to get a few other driver or windows updates before you can read the Download page correctly.

After download of the Vx20-130.exe file; it  opened and ran for 20 seconds and updated the BIOS

Turned off the machine and unplugged the computer to clear the CMOS .  Put my Windows 7 ultimate  hard drive back in the machine . Went to BIOS options and changed the setting back to  AHCI  from ATA.  

Started it up and it downloaded the drivers needed and boom here I am talking to you with a new BIOS!!!

One of the hardest things Ive had to try and troubleshoot ending up being a simple answer and 4 hours of work.

Thanks everyone for trying to help me with this.   Long story short; grab another hard drive put a 32 bit OS on it, if you need to update your BIOS or for some reason get any update from DELL.

It's a heck of a lot faster than trying to go around  and find another answer.

I hope my adventure will help someone else down the line.  

Ox

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

June 28th, 2013 14:00

Hi Ox,

I appreciate your efforts for providing a detailed description and the steps tried to update the BIOS. The BIOS update file can be executed from Windows environment. Please refer the information on the BIOS download page for installation instructions by clicking on "Run the BIOS update utility from Windows environment". The BIOS will be flashed when the system restarts.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

12 Posts

June 28th, 2013 15:00

Thank you for the quick reply Rajath.  After I download the EXE. file and  open to run the file, nothing happens. Ive been at it for  four days with no luck?   Ive downloaded , re-downloaded numerous time and tried different browsers to obtain the download.   Is there something else Im missing here:?

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

June 28th, 2013 15:00

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update on the status. Please follow the steps provided below to run the file:

1. Right click on theiIcon on your desktop labeled Vx20-130.EXE and select "Run as administrator".The Dell BIOS Flash window appears
2. Click the "Continue" button.The message "Pressing OK will close all applications, shut down Windows, Flash the BIOS, then reboot." appears.
3. Click the "OK" button.
4. The system will restart and the BIOS Flash will be completed.

Please let me know about your findings.

12 Posts

June 28th, 2013 16:00

Sadly..  nothing happens still.  

I have the Vx20-130.exe file saved to my desktop.   I right click and run as administrator then click yes to allow..

Then the load circle spins for a second. But nothing else happens.

Ive tried opening the file using the command prompt and after clicking 'yes" to run as administrator; it does the same thing.  

Is it possible that this is the wrong BIOS update for my 64bit machine?   That is the only conclusion I can think of Rajath?

12 Posts

June 29th, 2013 06:00

A new day/ the same BIOS....

Is there perhaps a freeware program I could use to help with the installation of the correct BIOS download??  Manual installation is not taking the EXE file.

I'm beginning to think the Vx20-130.exe download is for a 32bit machine and will not work for my 64bit? As I cannot find another BIOS download for a 64bit  machine anywhere with this motherboard.  :(

Someone, some where knows the secret.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 29th, 2013 21:00

Have you tried disabling your anti-viral and  anti-malware suites? Some of them have been known to block flash updates from running in Windows.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 29th, 2013 21:00

I think different Dell models shared this motherboard and your 220s may have had its motherboard replaced with one of another model. I suggest trying the 530 BIOS.

12 Posts

June 30th, 2013 04:00

Is this the Inspiron 530?  The latest BIOS update they put out for that machine  was  3/11/2009.  Which is older than the one I'm using now,

12 Posts

June 30th, 2013 05:00

Hey RoHe,    I was hoping that was the cause of the issue; I tried that and still nothing :(  

I think  rdunnill  was on to something there.  This motherboard may be different for some reason;  I just cant find the answer?  

Thanks  for the suggestions so far... That's why I joined here,  to get some kind of help.  

I can't believe Ive been messing with this for almost a week now.

12 Posts

June 30th, 2013 07:00

Could there be an installed Driver that is causing the EXE file to be blocked from running? I tried running it from the command line and also from an external USB and it didn't solve the problem.

Here are my specs:

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

System Manufacturer    Dell Inc.
System Model    Vostro 220s Series
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU      E5300  @ 2.60GHz, 2595 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    Dell Inc. 1.1.4, 4/17/2009
SMBIOS Version    2.5
Windows Directory    C:\Windows
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Time Zone    Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory    4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory    2.33 GB
Total Virtual Memory    10.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory    7.95 GB
Page File Space    6.00 GB

I also ran the compatibility settings manager and tried running it from there with all older windows OS setups and nothing.  

At the end of the manager I sent the issue to Microsoft and in the message box; it displayed that the  Vx20-130.exe is an incompatible application?

Ox

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

July 3rd, 2013 04:00

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update. It is strange that the update fails. However, I would like to know if you would like to know whether you are trying to update the BIOS only because an update is available or experiencing issues using the system. You can use the system with the current BIOS if the system is working properly.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

12 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 08:00

Ok maybe you can help me here..  When I put in my service tag for my Vostro 220s in the Drivers & Downloads page; I only get updates for  32 bit operating systems.. Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 32bit?

There is no option for me to choose Windows 7 or Vista  64 bit operating systems?

This machine is a 64bit machine running Windows 7 64bit.

I do not understand why the Dell Utility and the Driver update page are trying to give me 32 bit drivers only??

Is there a way I can use Dell to get to the correct 64bit drivers for my Windows 7 operating system?

I tried using the Auto-detect my drivers but only get the same 32 bit driver page.

The 32 bit drivers will not work with this machine as I need 64 bit.  I think this maybe the issue I'm having trying to update my system.  I did receive a message today telling me that one of the drivers I tried to download "This driver is not compatible with 64 bit Operating system".

I end up here with no further assistance:http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/home/dellsupportedoperatingsystems

Thank you again Rajath

Ox

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 3rd, 2013 10:00

Did the system come with the 64-bit OS installed, or did you upgrade it yourself?

If Dell didn't sell the Vostro 220s with a 64-bit OS, they won't provide drivers for any 64-bit OS.

12 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 12:00

When I got the machine it originally  had Vista Business 64 bit.  I upgraded it to Windows 7 Home and now Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Which is why I don't understand why Dell only offers the 32 bit operating systems on the Driver& Download page?

So, even if I put back on the Vista Business; it doesn't do me any good as that operating system is 64bit.

I myself didn't think the BIOS was OS specific.. But the Vx20-130.exe download is telling me that it is in compatible with this machine. Either the OS is stopping it from or the motherboard is no liking the update.

I've never had such a hard time getting a BIOS up to date as I have with this computer and the Dell website.  Why is there no utility from Dell to auto-detect my OS and software drivers and give me the option to update  easily? 

The "Analyze Drivers" utility on the Drivers & update page gave me the exact driver options as before. The same  32 bit OS updates.

If DELL is offering a way to update your system to Windows7 or 8; why is there no way to update the drivers that come along with these upgrades?

Ox

No Events found!