Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2008 19:00

BUYER BEWARE: XPS 430s **DO NOT** ship with Digital Cable Support!!??

I'm in the process of working this through on a recent purchase of an XPS 430.

I ordered the XPS 430 with Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium w/ Digital Cable Support SP1 and a Hauppauge TV tuner so I can access my QAM channels on cable through Media Center with the newest MCE software in this version of windows. However my shiny system came without digital cable support in Windows - just plain old VHP SP1 64-bit. I spoke for over an hour with a tech engineer who messed with drivers on the Win TV before escallating the support request to a Level 3 technician, but I have not heard from a technician all day. 

SHOPPERS BEWARE: The Web site ordering system is definitely incorrect, and this is going to cause Dell much more customer grief: if I look at an XPS configured with just Home Premium 64-bit (without digital cable support), reviewing the build shows the same SKU 420-9132 for the operating system as my XPS 430 that is advertised WITH cable support! This will be a big problem as people unbox their systems and discover there is no digital cable support because Dell is substituting regular Vista instead!!! People who buy these systems do so because Microsoft in their infinite (lack of) wisdom decided to release digital cable support to OEMs only, so if you want to watch @ record digital TV in MCE on Vista, you MUST buy from an OEM like Dell and HP who sells these systems.

I looked up the version information on Microsoft's Website. Windows Vista with digital cable support was released in July and code named "Windows Fiji" and it includes the "Media Center Edition TV Pack" which makes the version of Windows 6.1 (not 6.0 as shipped with my system).

Can someone in Dell marketing or product management please advise, because if Dell cannot provide what I purchased, I don't want this system.  

14.4K Posts

December 24th, 2008 06:00

Dell marketing or product management do not monitor or use these boards. These are user to user help forums. I would suggest if you are dissatisifed that you contact Dell and return the system. You have 21 days from the ship date to return for exchange or full refund.

159 Posts

December 28th, 2008 15:00

Please look at the Vista COA label on the back of the unit.  Are there 2 sets of 25 digit product keys (5 x 5 key).  If so, the one on the right should be labeled as digital cable key or something similar.  If you do see this second key then you need to go into Windows and activate that key with your current installation (Sorry - I don't have a Vista machine handy right now so I can't give you more specific instructions right now).

7 Posts

December 28th, 2008 18:00

Nope - only 1 COA label and only one product key, and it's for Windows Home Premium. Isn't that second key required in some way to activate the ATI cablecard product? I tried to follow some of the board discussions about cablecard, and it implies a second activation. Is that what the second product key is for, or is that number supposed to come from the cable company. It's not really adding up...

7 Posts

December 28th, 2008 18:00

As I said: Buyer beware! I have open support case with an L3 tech, for nearly a week now, with no contact. I even had one support supervisor tell me that he knows for a fact that QAM is not supported by Media Center and tried to make it seem like I was the problem. Well, a trip to microsoft.com set him straight... still no luck finding a SKU for VHP x64 with digital cable support.

940 Posts

December 29th, 2008 00:00

I hate to tell you this but the only option you have to get this corrected is for them to send you a new system. They will NOT send you the needed code and your system board has not been setup correctly to accept it. Call them and demand that they send you a new system configured correctly or just return this one and re-order.

7 Posts

December 29th, 2008 07:00

I agree -- all roads seem to point to that (needing a special OCUR support key in the BIOS, needing a second license key for digital MCE). HOWEVER, to this point, nobody has offered to replace the system with one configured correctly. My assumption: it's simply not being built in the way we (consumers) expect it to at all at this point.

7 Posts

December 30th, 2008 15:00

Thanks for that! Never saw one yet... although I paid for it. :(

I'd keep my system if someone at Dell would take a moment of their time to:

1) Sent me the digital cable support COA sticker

2) Sent me the correct CD-ROM with Windows x64 with Digital Cable Support

3) Sent me the patch to add OCUR support to the XPS 430's BIOS

I've been a customer of Dell's since Pentium 90s came out (and were summarily replaced). Never have I seen Dell so broadly disorganized and customer-unfocused as I have this past week. Anyone looking to buy a high-end computer with the ability to record the modern digital cable TV system that will be in place in February of '09 should, frankly, look elsewhere - DESPITE what the Dell website says. If you see in your cart product code VHP61E or the SKU [420-9132], then run like the wind from the nonsense that I've been through in the past week or you'll live through me vicariously.

Thanks, Dell marketing.

159 Posts

December 30th, 2008 15:00

If anyone is interested, here is what the COA with digital cable support looks like (with the good stuff blocked out of course)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/271271/VistaPremiumLabel.jpg

141 Posts

January 1st, 2009 15:00

Glenm201,

Please contact me in a private conversation.  I need the following information to send it up the line -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Service tag number:
Reason: XPS 430 ordered with Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium w/ Digital Cable Support SP1 but did not receive the additional 25 digit COA Digital Cable Product key nor was the bios OCUR enabled.

Note - When this occured on the XPS 420, all we could do was have Customer Care issue a system exchange.

7 Posts

January 8th, 2009 20:00

UPDATE: A whole lot of nothing came from Dell, I am amazed how poorly Dell treats its customers, even when it's so clearly their mistake. No call from escallation to Level 3 technicians, no call from anyone to make good on the whole experience and offer to configure another system for me. The whole pile went back, and I have a big hole in my desk waiting for a new computer to take its place.

As a CIO and IT director who bought this system through Dell Home privately for personal use, this is one SERIOUSLY bad experience that will make me take my CORPORATE business elsewhere. Hey, if one business unit can treat customers this way, it's not long before the other does. If my friends and relatives can ask me for advice and I used to tell them to buy Dell because of my corporate experience with the company, than the reverse is true -- I can no longer recommend Dell because of my personal experience. I've got 4 Optiplex 755s sitting unopened at work that will be going back on Monday, and I'm not looking back either.

Dell thinks well this is just a lowly home user, so what the hey, send them to technicians and customer service reps with strange accents who have no 7-digit extensions and won't give you their last name, won't call you on your cell phone because it's important enough to you that you gave them your private number (which corporate sales person wouldn't want the CIO's personal number?) and won't reply to emails the same day. Heck, they don't have to get it right every time, it's only one little-guy "consumer," right? Just take it back and walk away, right? 

Well this consumer has some serious buying power besides word of (bad) mouth that every consumer is entitled to. I'd be belly laughing right now at how I'm going to stick it to Dell for sticking it to me if it wasn't for this lousy experience where I lost hours of my valuable time with no compensation and no setting things right.

799 Posts

January 10th, 2009 06:00

Hello glenm201, This is not an isolated issue. I too, have been a life long Dell loyal customer. I say life long, because I have purchased Dell systems since Dell went into business.

I have purchased or recommended Dell systems for hundreds of customers, and personally purchased well over several hundred systems for 4 different businesses that I purchase and maintain computer networks and systems for.

I always built my personal systems in order to get exactly what I wanted, since Dell would not.

Just this past year, I decided to purchase a Dell system for personal use.

It was defective right out of the box. Dell has done nothing to resolve the issue, and I still have the defective system.

Dell has lost all my business and the many business associates, friends, family, and others that I have always recommended for them to purchase Dell systems.

Dell does not seem to be concerned about any of this.

Just some confirmation as to the issues you seem to have with Dell.

7 Posts

January 12th, 2009 08:00

Thanks for that Hanspuppa. Here's the "resolution" -- they pulled the XPS 430 from the website. I was communicating with this guy Chris Mixon who trolls the forum from corporate communications (PR), who was the only person at Dell to even kind-of follow up and track the case, but he's not tech support or customer service and generally forwards things up.

Chris_Mixon sent you the following message:

----------------------------------
Subject:Re: BUYER BEWARE: XPS 430s **DO NOT** ship with Digital Cable Support!!??

... I was a desktop technician on the phones for 5 years, then I did desktop email support for 3 years, and have been doing desktop support for the forum the last 3 years. The Forum itself is under Corporate Communications. I was told today that the XPS 430 will not have an OCUR bios. They pulled the XPS 430 from the website to correct this. ...

----------------------------------

Vindication without compensation. How nice.

--glenm201

No Events found!