Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2009 22:00

Beep Code 1-3-2 Dimension 4700

I purchased new memory for my Dell. I installed it and the computer ran fine. I then saw where I needed to upgrade the BIOS. I began the upgrade but it "hung" and would not complete. I then turned my computer off with power switch. I have tripled checked the memory sticks to ensure they installed correctly. When I turn on my computer I receive a 1-3-2 Beep Code. At this point nothing else happens.

Is there a "jumper" to use on motherboards?

If it is the "motherboard integrity", is it cost effective to repair?

Gargor >slightly above average user.

Thank you in advance for any help that someone might provide me with.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 28th, 2009 13:00

gargor  

Regards to the 'Hung' BIOS, you could try Dell's solution in the post HERE

What is the colour of the power button LED, solid green, blimking, solid amber or blinking amber?

Check the sequence of the Diagnostic Lights 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

on the back panel of the case?

Have you installed new memory recently?

First remove and reinstall all the memory and try starting the system.

Still does not start, try the following:

Remove all the memory modules, then install only one module in slot 1, then see if the system boots and if the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module.

Does not boot, move the module to slot 2 and again see if the system boots, no boot, try the module in slot 3, no boot, try installing in slot 4.

Still does not boot, then remove the first module and using the second one, repeat the sequence described above.

Still no boot, try installing any remaining modules, one at a time, using the above procedure.

Continue until you have identified a faulty module [or slot] or reinstalled all modules without error.

Then if the computer still does not start, it's possible that the motherboard has failed and needs to be replaced.

A Dell OEM 4700 motherboard can be purchased for $69.99, but personally, as it's an obsolete system, I would probably replace it

Bev.

No Events found!