Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2010 16:00

Beep codes Dimension 9100 Help!

After replacing the system board (clock, etc.) battery in my brother's Dell Dimension 9100, I got the no boot... bios beep codes.

Code is 1 - 3 - 2 which I believe is memory recognized, but not working. We tried removing one of the matched cards (512K) and have only one in the DIMM1 slot (no change), tried the other one in the same slot with no effect. Tried no cards and got the proper code for "no memory intalled".

The RAM fault diagnosis also agrees with the diagnostic lighted numbers near the power button of "3" and "4".

Next step was to buy brand new RAM of the same size/type and still had the same code. (RAM failure).

Also tried to reset the CMOS with the jumper swap, took the  battery out for 30+ minutes, tested the battery (fine) , all to no avail.

Bottom line, has anyone had such a problem or any thoughts on the next step?

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 8th, 2010 21:00

Beep codes 1-3-1 through 2-4-4: Memory not being properly identified or used

Could be a motherboard failure. :emotion-9:

Did you unplug and press/hold power button for at least ~30 sec after you removed the motherboard battery? Did you swap the RAM before you pulled the battery?

Where did you get the new RAM? Dell PCs are very fussy about RAM, even when it has the right specs.

Did you try testing one module in every slot, in case slot 1 failed?

Ron

No Events found!