Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2010 20:00

Best video card for 350w power supply? Dell Studio 540

Hey all I just wanted to see if I could get away with using a radeon HD 5670 in my Studio 540.  I heard that it requires a 400w power supply but people have not been having any trouble with the regular 350w one.  If it makes a difference, I also have two hard drives, two optical drives, and a tv tuner card.  If all that is indeed too much wattage going on, what card would you recommend so that I don't have to change my PSU?

Thanks!!

881 Posts

August 10th, 2010 21:00

That is one of those situations where it works for some folks and won't for others. If it were me: If I wanted that card I would go ahead and get it and try it. If it does draw too much the system will simply shut down. Even IF you do need an upgraded PSU - you aren't talking about that much money for a decent one.

Video card makers usually overstate the requirements and Dell routinely understates the PSU output. Your 350w PSU can run for long periods at 350w and can  top that by quite a bit for shorter periods of time.

Jeff :emotion-22:

881 Posts

August 10th, 2010 22:00

Nothin' to lose.

Jeff

4 Posts

August 10th, 2010 22:00

Thanks Jeff!  I appreciate your input.  I'm leaning towards trying it out and seeing how it goes.

No Events found!