Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

X

April 24th, 2008 06:00

Best way to OC the 630i

Hey,

I'm recently trying to OC my 630 to around 3ghz. I have red about it, and it should be easy doable with stock volt and cooler.

But as i tried, i coudn't do it the old way.. trough the bios. Simply because i can't find anything there that alows me to adjust the FSB...  I can change the volt, the mem, etc.. but not the FSB

So i tried the Nvidia tool.. but that is really anoying. I reached 2.7ghz with no prb, but as soon as i hitted 2.8, it still loaded to windows.. but then the whole screen just froze and you coudn't do anything. The only way to undo it, was to go to save mode and delete the profile you made in the Nvidia tool.

Have any of you have experience with Oc'ing your 630 and what result did you get? And especially, how did you managed to get it?

Kind regards,

2 Intern

• 

597 Posts

April 30th, 2008 15:00

Hey Ruski,

you got PART of that post right;  i USED TO HAVE the moola but then i GOT the 6850, hehehehehehehe.

can't do the get both and test thing on these, i think the 4 hsf units i tested 'bout did it for the wife:)

DOH!

m$

121 Posts

Hahaha. lol. Oh well, I guess someone else is going to have to test the 2nd option for me then... ;) lol jk :)

121 Posts

Hey M$, sounds you have the money for it all! lol, so just get them both (Mwuahahaha);) and try them both out. Then you could tell us which one is better! :) (You obviously have the moolaa, if you've got yourself a Q X6 850 lol :) )

2 Intern

• 

597 Posts

LOL!  bummer bro, it won't be that way for ya forever hang in there!

i was gonna say, i'll split the diff with ya;

U test the Nautilus 500  & i'll test the bigwater 760i..??..    guess not!  tell dad it's for science, hehehehe.

no that isn't the latest 3DMk score with the current oc.  i'll put it in sli tonight and run and post the results.

m$

121 Posts

April 30th, 2008 16:00

Hahaha. Yeah, I don't think that the "science" thing will Ever fly in my family, especially w/ all of this Evolution garbage being Forced everywhere nowadays. lol. That would've been nice though...I'd LOVE to test out that Nautilus 500 :smileysad: .....sigh..... lol

526 Posts

Ruski - you've got a pretty decent 3DMark score, can I ask how you have your BIOS setup for CPU, FSB and associated voltages?

121 Posts

@Rambler358 wrote:
Ruski - you've got a pretty decent 3DMark score, can I ask how you have your BIOS setup for CPU, FSB and associated voltages?

Sure:

CPU Feature:

-C1E Function: Disabled

-Speedstep: Disabled

OverVoltage Configuration:

-CPU Core: 1.5v

-CPU FSB: 1.4v

-VDimm(mem voltage): 2.1v

OverClock Configuration:

-Mode: Unlinked

-FSB QDR: 1480

-DDR: 800

-PCI BUS Slots: 102 for both 

Memory Timings:

@4-4-4-12-2T, and rest is on auto for now, but will prob try setting tRC manually to 15 or 18 (on auto it's at 22) (I had tried having the RAM running @ 1066 w/ 5-5-5-15-2T-22tRC and 2.2v, but I got slightly(like 200ish points) lower on 3DMark06 score than at this 4 timing setting)

GPU settings: factory default frequencies

Results:

CPU: running at 3.33GHz

RAM: running at 800MHz(currently, will try fooling w/ it tonight, like going to 900, or lowering timings even more)

3DMark06: 16,720 - this is w/out OC'ing the GPUs (17,156 is the highest I had gotten b4 by OC'ing GPUs, but that was on a totally different configuration. I'm gonna try OC'ing them tonight, and see what I can get. I know that it'll be a lot higher than 17,156 though)(that is just for the fun of it. I prob won't have the GPUs OC'ed for plain use though later on)

Please tell me if I missed anything, or if anyone has any suggestions

Message Edited by Ruski07 on 04-30-2008 12:28 PM

121 Posts

April 30th, 2008 17:00

Oh, yes, sorry.

Chipset: Auto

You guessed it! lol :) 

526 Posts

April 30th, 2008 17:00

Thanks!  You didn't mention your Chipset (SPP) voltage, so I assume you've set that to Auto?

526 Posts

April 30th, 2008 18:00

m$ - if you got the Thermaltake Bigwater, where would you install the main unit?  I see you've already got a DVD drive installed, so it would have to be externally right?

I'm seriously thinking about checking out the Corsair Nautilus 500 unit.  Though it's really too bad most of the mainstream cooling units won't fit inside the 630 case. :smileysad:  I really like that thermo-electric solution.

2 Intern

• 

597 Posts

April 30th, 2008 20:00

i don't have anything else below the optical cd drive.  there looks to be enough room for it in slots 2&3.  the opening in the front were bay #3/bottom would be is for a floppy diskette.  the front is small but the actual size is the same.  i think that's 5.25.  if i test the bigwater, you gonna test the nautilus 500?????   :)

m$

121 Posts

April 30th, 2008 21:00

Lol ;), Do it! Do it! It's for the improvement of mankind Rambler358! You just HAVE to!!! lol :)
Message Edited by Ruski07 on 04-30-2008 05:14 PM

526 Posts

April 30th, 2008 22:00

@Mr. Scary wrote:

i don't have anything else below the optical cd drive.  there looks to be enough room for it in slots 2&3.  the opening in the front were bay #3/bottom would be is for a floppy diskette.  the front is small but the actual size is the same.  i think that's 5.25.  if i test the bigwater, you gonna test the nautilus 500?????   :)

I liked the idea of the bigwater being internal to the case, but being that I don't have the space available and I don't want to give up my current components I was about to bite the bullet on the Nautilus - then I decided to do a little research on other exteral liquid cooling systems available.  I was thinking that if I start this water cooling project, options are available on other systems to include chipset and GPU cooling as well.  Then I came across this Koolance Exos-2 unit, with the capability to add chipset/GPU cooling in the future if I wanted - but it's about $100 more than the Nautilus CPU only setup.

So I just need to do a little more research.  I do believe I'm defintately going to go the water cooling route though, as OCCT keeps erroring out saying my CPU is too hot! :smileysurprised:  I'll post back soon and let you know what I decide on...

526 Posts

April 30th, 2008 22:00

I just found a nice little article on Tomshardware called " A Beginner's Guide For WaterCooling Your PC", which also just happens to use the Exos model I linked to above.

2 Intern

• 

597 Posts

May 1st, 2008 04:00

i believe both the big water and the nautilus can add other cooling blocks chipset etc without performance degredation.  it states it on both.  i'll read tom's article now.  i done oc'n tonight.  very frustrated.

I CAN NOT EVEN MOVE THE FSB FROM 1333 TO 1334 WITHOUT A CRASH.

i've tried everything.

volts up

volts down

on both fsb and chipset

cpu volts up and down

multiplier down with fsb bumped up

i've loosened up the timings on the ram

i've reduce ram speed

i've tried the 'linked' setting for the clock that brought the ram down to 800 automatically

i either can't boot, can't post, or get into windows and then crash, take yer pick.

i must be missin' something here, but for the life of me i can't figure it out.  i can't believe that 3.67 is tops for this rig!

heck dave even said with next to no effort a 720 can get the qx6850 up to 3.7.

what the          am i missin'

right now don't need to worry about the cooling if i can't get it to post, right??

any help or suggs???

m$

No Events found!