Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2017 01:00

Bios problem in XPS 8700

While trying to troubleshoot a problem with my Win 7 Home desktop (the boot seemed normal, but then no response to mouse), I mistakenly reset the BIOS option "Secure Boot OFF" to ON.

Now when I power up, I get a post beep and after a few seconds, five error code beeps, and no screen.  I cannot seem to enter the BIOS page with F2 or any other way I've tried.  No screen at any time.  The only thing that gets any response on the keyboard is Ctrl-Alt-Del, which repeats the same sequence as power on.  How do I reset the ON to OFF so I can boot up?  Thanks.

Hal

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 1st, 2017 04:00

5 beeps is usually a bad CMOS battery or a bad realtime clock -- I doubt the problem is related to the change you made.

Replace the CMOS battery(it's a CR-2032 lithium button cell on the mainboard).   They're well under $2 each on Amazon.

If that doesn't solve the problem, it's the realtime clock that has failed - the mainboard will need to be replaced.

74 Posts

February 1st, 2017 10:00

I will replace the battery.  Could this have been causing the original problem also?  Normal looking boot-up to Desktop, but little and then no response to the mouse?

Hal

No Events found!