Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2011 17:00

Black Screen of Death? Please help :(

So, a few months ago, I got a brand new Dell Studio XPS Desktop. However, when I tried getting onto it today, it showed the Dell symbol, then the screen turned black. I can't back get to my desktop or anything. There is also no blue screen. I have no clue how to even get it on safe mode.

Can someone please help me? Any answers are sppreciated :)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 17th, 2011 18:00

Hi Csf101,

You didn't provide the model number but I assume you have Windows 7. Is that correct? If you have your files backed up, then you can run the Dell OS restore. But you may want to run the Dell diagnostics on your hard drive by booting to your Dell drivers and utilities disc. See the link below for instructions on how to do that.

If you do not have your files backed up, then you need to try a repair installation of the operating system. For that, please post in the operating system forum.

Good luck!

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

May 17th, 2011 18:00

EDIT:  Osprey and I managed to cross-post.    I'm reading the post as being more of a "video suddenly died" hardware problem, but the devil's in the details.....

Since it's so new, you're still under warranty.  I wouldn't invest too much time in troubleshooting it before contacting Dell directly for service, though you can check a few things ahead of time to speed things up.

Main thing is figuring out if it's the monitor or the PC.  Knowing exact model numbers of each might help with details, but some general things:

1) I know it's obvious, but you never know.... Are you sure it's not just a power failure, tripped circuit breaker, loose plug, faulty power strip, etc.?

2) Most monitors have a status light.  Is it green, amber, or not on at all?  Look at the connections between the PC and monitor - anything loose?

3) Does the PC itself have power?  Knowing the exact model would help in finding the troubleshooting guide,  but at least check the power button.  Solid,  flashing, off?  Any "beeps" when you manually power down and then restart with the power button?

4)  Power down the PC, then unplug both the monitor and PC from the wall.

A) Most newer monitors have a "self test" feature.  Unplug the monitor from the PC (including any USB or audio cables), then plug the monitor back into the wall and power it on.  If you see a test pattern, the monitor is probably OK.

B) Hook everything back up, plug it back into the wall, and try again.

No Events found!