Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 28th, 2009 14:00

Black screen displaying 'A52021 X1900 XTX bios _ '

Hi,

Seem to be having a hard time here. I recently put a new hard drive into the spare bay, turned on the pc only to see a black screen and the text 'A52021 X1900 XTX bios _ '

It seems to be refering to the graphics card?

I've taken the card out and put it in another newer pc and it works fine. Put it back in the older one and up pops the text. No windows boot, no nothing.

Very limited info online but there is mention of re-flashing the VGA Bios (but it works in another pc) or one post that mentions getting a more powerful power pack which seems an odd solution. The installed power is 375w which is low compared to the 700w in my new pc but it's been using that for 4 years now.

Would love any advice you can give please as this one is a real head scratcher. Only the old hard drive remains inside so new drive is not the issue.

Many thanks,

Andrew

System is:

Windows XP Media edition
9150, PD, 930 (3.0 GHZ), Dual Core
4GB ram
ATI X1900 XTX (512mb) Graphics card
1 X 320GB SERIAL ATA
X-FI PCI SOUND CARD
N375P-00 - Power Supply, 375 Watt

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 29th, 2009 10:00

andrew22222,

Do you have another video card to try in that slot?

January 29th, 2009 14:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the card in my newer home built machine is a ATI Radeon HD 4870 and needs 2 x 6pin plugs just to wake it up. The power box in the Dell pc is only 375w and has just the one plug.

I've left this too long and my wife is getting slightly annoyed as it's suppose to running our DVD movies and TV shows so will head over to the store this afternoon and get a new power pack giving out 500w and see if that does the business. If not my only other option seems to be getting another cheap graphics card and as you mentioned trying that in the slot.

Will post back the results here in case anyone else gets it in the future and the only option is a $50 charge for Dell telephone support.

All the best,

Andrew

January 30th, 2009 21:00

Feels good when you fix something yourself :emotion-4:

Final result was a new power pack that gives out 500W and the card started up again. I actually found a pointer towards a power pack theory on another forum and it was the same card and powerpack combo by Dell.

375w? Dell you should be ashamed of yourself putting them in expensive machines.

Hope the post helps out someone else in the future.

Andrew

No Events found!