Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2009 05:00

Blinking Power switch

Hey out there can anyone help, I had posted on this topic a month or so ago, and the general consensus was that my problem was most likely due to a faulty power supply. Well I got the new one from Dell, and switched it out and still have a blinking power switch. I could sure use some help.

Tim in San Diego

XPS 600, 2ghz mem, dual 256 nvidia GTX, 3ghz dual core processor

obviously this system is not new probably 3-4 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

timmartinsen,

If the power light is blinking amber, the computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.
* Ensure that the voltage selection switch on the back of the power supply is set to match the AC power at your location.
* Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board. When powerwed on, does the motherboard flea LED come on?

What color are the Diagnostic Lights?

14.4K Posts

Well looks like we will need to dig a bit deeper now. So we know the Power supply is considered good. So the next step now is to pull out all the ram sticks, cards, and disconnect the power to all the drives. power on the system and look at the power light, diagnostic lights, listen for beeps and note what the fans do.

If there is no change then the motherboard is gone.

13 Posts

March 8th, 2009 09:00

Davet50,

Thank you for your response, and following your advise I did all you said, there was no change, and I noticed that there was damage on the motherboard, swollen capacitors, melted doughnut with wire wrapped around it (don't know what the said doughnut is), so do you know if I can upgrade the mother board using the same hardware from the rest of the system?

13 Posts

March 8th, 2009 09:00

Chris M,

My  mother board is shot, I need to upgrade, be able to use existing hardware, case and cards and drives, do you know how I go about replacine the mother board? I bought  the system 10/12/05, so I would like the motherboard to be current as far as capabilities and growth.....I'm gettting out of my personal expertise with motherboard replacement.

Thanks 

Tim

SD

14.4K Posts

March 8th, 2009 13:00

you can only replace your motherboard with the same one. So it will have the same capabilities as you have now. IF you are wanting to update to more current hardware you would need to get a newer system. 

If you want to replace it you will need to check either ebay or call Dell Spare Parts. A new board will most likely run between 250-300

13 Posts

March 11th, 2009 19:00

Chris M,

I currently have a Pentium D 930 (I think, I know that the processor is 3ghz) Could you tell me what the fastest processor is that I can upgrade to?

I've been told or heard somewhere that I I install a 64 bit OS, then I can upgrade my memory to 8 gig, is this true?

No Events found!