Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2009 10:00

Blinking amber LED just won't quit - 5150

Greetings all,

My Dimension 5150 won't turn on; the LED light is blinking amber.  This used to only last 24 hrs; I figured some software was forcing it into standby.  But then it stayed blinking amber all week.  I unplugged/discharged, tried a different outlet, then finally opened the box and disconnected all drives/memory and reseated the power connections to the motherboard.  Now the LED stays dark, but returns to blinking amber whenever I press the power button to boot up.

Anyone out there have any experience with this?  Could it be the internal power supply or perhaps demonic possession?  This is driving me mad.

Thanks, Chris

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 25th, 2009 11:00

c4london

A blinking amber power button LED usually indicates a power supply or motherboard failure.

As a power supply costs less than the motherboard, that would be the first part to replace.

5150/E510 systems do not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can install most generic ATX power supplies with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector. As the 5150/E510 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used and can be purchased from most local or online computer stores.

A power supply with a minimum of two SATA power connectors is needed.

The 5150/E510 Troubleshooter is HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

3 Posts

February 1st, 2009 03:00

Thanks Bev, I have started shopping around for power supply replacements.  Really appreciate your help.

Through my web searches, one big surprise I discovered is just how common this power supply problem is with the Dimension 5150. 

Dell, this machine is only 30 months old.  I am not impressed...

Chris

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 1st, 2009 03:00

I have an E510 which is the US version of the 5150.  Although there are an abnormal number of power supply failures in this model, each one has to be examined case by case.  There can be other issues that cause the power supply to fail other than "defective components internally".  e.g. overheating, something on the motherboard that overloaded it at some point, a surge on the Mains, "self inflicted" by installing components that overload (exceed the capabilities) the power supply, etc.

Finally, a 30 month old PC, is nearly 3 years old and a candidate for potential hardware failures.  An article that recently ran in my local newspaper noted when to repair or replace appliances (which included PC's) and it was stated that a 3 year or older PC should be replaced, not repaired, if it fails.   

February 6th, 2009 19:00

Hi,

I've got same problem last year.

First of all you have to check CMOS battery.

If battery is OK you have to check power supply.

You may use tester or even better you may temporary replace it with good working one.

If you steel have problem you definitely have problem with motherboard.

Replacing motherboard cost almost like replacing computer without peripherals.

So cheapest way is to try to by-pass power supply.

So, you have to strip green wire and one of the black ones.Those are located on the 24-pin conector.

Fix some wire to them  and isolate properly.

Connect other ends for few seconds.You will hear fans and you will see all gren lights.Then you press power button.

It will boot up.

Do not forget to disconect the wires.

If you like solution you may add push button.

You may need to add extra CPU fan as well.

Maybe your motherboard is partially fried because of CPU fan failure-(probably bad temperature sensor).

If you had experienced freezing,blue screen or other OS problems it maybe because of overheating.

Adding extra fan may solve all problems and protect your investment.

S. J.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 6th, 2009 20:00

Thanks Bev, I have started shopping around for power supply replacements.  Really appreciate your help.

Through my web searches, one big surprise I discovered is just how common this power supply problem is with the Dimension 5150. 

Dell, this machine is only 30 months old.  I am not impressed...

Chris

Chris.

Yes, I understand how you feel.

THIS is Dell's solution to the Dimension 5150/E510 Blinking Amber LED [No power or No post] problem.

Bev.

3 Posts

February 7th, 2009 02:00

Hi all - turns out my friend had a spare power supply so we bypassed the one in my machine (good advice up there).  Motherboard was fine, the PSU was fried.  We took it apart to try and replace the fuse, but the Dell PSU had the fuse glued onto other components.  So I ordered a new one from PC World UK for 11 pounds; upgraded from 305 to 400V supply.  Will install it next week.

387 replies on the other LED problem!  sounds like I am indeed not alone.  as for replacing appliances, I guess I've had such good experiences with my previous IBM machines that I was suprised this happened so soon. 

Cheers, Chris

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 7th, 2009 10:00

c4london

Chris.

Happy to hear, that the problem is resolved.    :emotion-11:

Bev.

No Events found!