Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 7th, 2016 23:00

Blinking orange power button on Dimension 5000

I was using my Dimension 5000 when it shut down unexpectedly. The power button now blinks orange unless I press and hold it when it does not light at all. Pressing it again only produces the steady blinking light. I have some important work on it that I need to transfer to my laptop so if anyone can help me, I'd be very grateful.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 8th, 2016 11:00

Nitwit2

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 7th, 2016 23:00

I was using my Dimension 5000 when it shut down unexpectedly. The power button now blinks orange unless I press and hold it when it does not light at all. Pressing it again only produces the steady blinking light. I have some important work on it that I need to transfer to my laptop so if anyone can help me, I'd be very grateful.

Nitwit2

Are there any 'Beeps'?

A blinking amber power button light,usually indicates a power supply issue.

Try installing a known working power supply to see if this makes a difference.

The Dimension 5000 does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, most standard ATX power supplies with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with, or without the on/off switch can be used, a power supply with two SATA power connectors is needed. 

You should be able to buy a replacement power supply from a local or online computer store.

Regards to transferring the important files to your laptop, you could use the following:

Remove the hard drive and use an USB adaptor similar to THIS and attach the hard drive to a USB port of your laptop and transfer the files to the laptop.

Bev.

5 Posts

June 8th, 2016 04:00

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. I haven't noticed any beeps so it looks like I'll have to change the power supply as I quite like  the PC, in spite of its age. It certainly behaves better than my new laptop but I can't watch television while I'm using it!

Thanks again.

Dean

No Events found!