Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2009 07:00

Blue Screen at start up

I have a mates  dimension desktop ( never checked the model,sorry) He was  having trouble with it shutting down the whole time, the first thing I  thought of was infection, so here's what I did. I installed and ran  MalwareBytes and it found 159 infected objects I then installed Zonealarm Free firewall, Then I installed Avast antivirus Home edition and that found 6 infections after  the boot scan, I ran MalwareBytes again, this time a Full scan and it found 4 infections and said that it needed to restart the pc to clean the files, now when the  pc starts I get  the blue screen(didn't write down the error code) so I re booted to run the diagnostic and selected  the blue screen option ( it's still running but had to leave to go to work) I got this error

IDE disk s/n Y481BN2E  - read test

No additional sense information

testresult    -  Fail

Error code : OFOO : 0244

Msg : block 15677328 Uncorrectable Data error or media  (can not read the  rest  as the mouse in inactive during test so I cant scroll over)

Any help with this  is much appreciated

October 22nd, 2009 08:00

A couple of questions

Can it be fixed without reformatting  the drive?( he has a lot of data on the drive)

Will reinstalling windows reformat the drive?

It will only boot in safe mode, can I copy any data from there to an external device so as not to lose it?

Thanks

Mick

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 22nd, 2009 08:00

With the amout of infections and trying to get rid of them, I would suspect the hard drive will have to be reformatted and everything reinstalled.  Having to reinstall because of infections is not an unusual occurance. 

October 22nd, 2009 09:00

try one thing go to safe mode and try uninstalling the antivirus and then boot the system...

if the blue screen error continues....

even though if u reinstall the windows on the drive with out reformatting.... the virus still may become active....

if u have several partitions on the harddisk then copy the data from windows partitions to other partitions....

then install the windows... dont open the drive/partitions yet as they make contain virus...

first thing install an antivirus and then update it and then scan the drives containing ur backup... to find any presence of virus....

reinstalling the windows wont necessary need to reformat the drive....

yes in the safe mode u can copy to external device...

before doing any thing make sure u have all ur data backed up......

once u accidentally format the drive the recovery is gonna cost u a lot....

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 22nd, 2009 09:00

This is another example of why periodic backups to some external device is needed.  Not for "if" it is ever needed but for "when" it is needed.

October 22nd, 2009 11:00

There is no extra partition on the drive but I think I can create one and move his data there. I'll be finished  here in around 5 hours so I'll try the safe mode option first

Another question,I know most programs have limited use in safe  mode

would I be able to create a partition  and move  his data then burn it to dvd and then format the drive all in safe mode

Thanks for all the info, your  help is much appreciated

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 22nd, 2009 13:00

Thepowerfullone 

Error code: 'OFOO:O244, uncorrectable data error or media is write protected', indicates the hard drive is failing, or has failed, you need to replace it.

Bev.

October 22nd, 2009 13:00

Thanks for that. Will copy what I can from the drive and then replace it

Is there much point in going thru' any of the other steps?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 22nd, 2009 14:00

Thepowerfullone

It's your choice, but personally, I think it would be an exercise in futility.    :emotion-5:

Bev.

No Events found!