Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2012 11:00

Blue Screen

Hello, My computer is fairly new I have the Inspiron 620 and ever so often something crashes and manages to recover, eventually the computer has a blue screen and restarts itself.

Why is this?

What can I do to stop this?

Thanks

Kind Regards

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

November 26th, 2012 11:00

Hi Krenar,

The problem could be with the hardware or software of the computer.

Running the hardware diagnostics can help in checking if there is any hardware problem. Remove all the external devices connected to the laptop. Follow the steps below to run hardware diagnostics.

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep tapping the F12 key on the Dell Logo Screen.

3. From the One time boot menu select Diagnostics and Press Enter.

4. It runs a test on all the hardware components.

5. If it test fails please capture the error code and let me know the error code, I would tell you the next course of action.

In case the test passes, follow the next steps. Check in Safe Mode with Networking.

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep tapping F8 on the Dell Logo Screen.

3. Once the computer enters Advanced Boot Option, select Safe Mode with Networking.

4. Press Enter.

Check if the computer is doing the same thing in safe mode with networking.

Try the above steps and reply.

4 Posts

November 26th, 2012 12:00

Ive have done the Diagnostics and everything had passed. I am now running in safe mode, however i rarely get the blue screen, should i run in safe mode until i get it again or what?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

November 27th, 2012 11:00

Hi Krenar,

Please restart the computer normally and use the following link to download Blue Screen Viewer:

http://download.cnet.com/BlueScreenView/3000-2094_4-10965136.html

Extract the downloaded file and run the BlueScreenView.exe file. It will list the minidump files. Make a note of the “Caused By Driver” and file names in the lower half of the window.

Make a note of those and include in the reply.

4 Posts

November 28th, 2012 11:00

Okay just did it here are the notes from the bottom half:

Caused by driver: dxgkrnl.sys

atikmpag.sys  atikmpag.sys+7a1c  fffff880`02932000  fffff880`02983000 0x00051000  0x4e0a89c9  29/06/2011 02:11:21

dxgkrnl.sys  dxgkrnl.sys+5d000  fffff880`03a1c000  fffff880`03b10000  0x000f4000  0x4ce799fa 20/11/2010 09:50:50

dxgmms1.sys  dxgmms1.sys+ff07  fffff880`03b1000 fffff880`03b56000 0x00046000  0x4ce799c1  20/11/2010 09:49:53

There we the files highlighted in red. Thanks

Kind Regards

Krenar

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

November 30th, 2012 13:00

Hi Krenar,

The error message is associated with the video card drivers, updating the video card drivers should fix the problem.

I recommend Video drivers update for the computer.

1. Visit the following website: http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/TroubleShooting/ProductSelector
  2. Enter the Service tag of the computer in the box provided and click “Submit”.
  3. In the next page, click drop down arrow to select the Operating System which is installed in the computer.
  4. Under category Video, select the drivers accordingly and click “Download File” and save the file on desktop, run and install it.
  5. Restart the computer and check.

Kindly reply for further help.

December 2nd, 2012 17:00

This is an Ati video card driver.

4 Posts

December 3rd, 2012 08:00

ive installed the dirvers, what is veejdeej talking about? :S

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 09:00

Uninstall the ati drivers.

Install directx june 2010 DRIVERS

download and extract to a folder then run dxsetup.exe

PS This patch applies to ALL VERSIONS of windows XP/VISTA/7/8

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) - Microsoft

Then download the ati auto detect and install drivers.

AMD Driver Autodetect

dxgkrnl.sys IS Directx

VIDEO_TDR_ERROR file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys

VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000116.

This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

If Updating video driver hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.

The following software issues are examples that can cause a TDR event:
-Incompatible drivers of any sort (either GPU, sound, etc) ( http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...s/default.aspx )
-Messy registry (I doubt this and don't approve of registry cleaners)
-Known vista issues resounding around multiple displays, aero, dreamscape, and various display drivers. (none known for this OS)
-Known vista issues that sometimes cause corrupt information to be sent to the video card from system memory (will be addressed completely in SP2, has had various fixes applied since vista's release) (none known for this OS)
-Bad direct x files (uninstall, then reinstall DirectX)
-bad system files (System File Checker - was run above)
-Bad driver (some drivers will cause an event due to internal bugs, however these are not nearly as common as many think due to all of the previous things causing the same symptom) - (remove all 3rd party programs and check to be sure drivers aren't loading. Then install only the necessary 3rd party stuff, and ensure it's the latest version and that it's compatible with Windows 7)

If this problem has occurred after updating your display drivers, I would suggest you to roll back to the previous driver version.

Restore a driver to its previous version
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Restore-a-driver-to-its-previous-version

You can also check the latest driver for your display driver from your computer manufacturer if this issue has occurred without updating the display drivers.

To manually update drivers
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Method 2: Follow the link below and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors-in-Windows-7

Microsoft also recommends a Hotfix KB974431

Windows 7, 32-bit versions
Download

Download the Update for Windows 7 (KB974431) package now.

Windows 7, 64-bit versions
Download

Download the Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB974431) package now.

No Events found!