Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

April 3rd, 2015 19:00

Bluetooth stopped working completely on XPS 8700 SE

My XPS did not come with a Dell BT adapter, it came with an Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260. Also, my system came with Windows 8.1 installed. When I received it the Bluetooth was working great. I don't use BT often on my PC, usually just to transfer photos from my phone. A few weeks after getting my computer, today as a matter of fact the BT did not work at all.

The device manager was no help, the notification area icon just told me the icon was not available because it was not active. I went to the Intel Wireless Networking and opened and ran the Drive Update Utility. The utility found I need two files, I downloaded and installed them and after a reboot all is well. My Device manager now looks like this:

Hope this helps someone.

2K Posts

April 4th, 2015 12:00

Hi JPR9845,

Firstly, thank you for your post.

Windows 8.1 has few known Bluetooth issues.

However, the fix that you have suggested is indeed a very helpful one.

If you have any concerns, feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards,

1 Rookie

• 

98 Posts

April 5th, 2015 10:00

I am having trouble pairing my iPhone 6 Plus with my Dell XPS 8700 Special Edition.

I originally had the Dell AC 411 Speakers that had no problems pairing with the Desktop, but I returned those because they kept turning themselves off.

I replaced those speakers with generic non-Bluetooth speakers I had laying around.

Just today, I tried to pair my iPhone 6 Plus with the Desktop to be able to hear music on my Desktop that is on my iPhone 6 Plus (withOUT having to use a 3.5 mm Audio Cable).

But, my iPhone 6 Plus NEVER detects the Desktop.

Seems like I could just be missing something basic here, but can't seem to see what.

In Device Manager under Bluetooth, I have only the 1st 3 items that JPR9845 notes in his original post.

But, that SAME configuration worked fine when I paired my Dell Speakers with the Desktop less than a month ago.

2K Posts

April 5th, 2015 11:00

Hi Donald357,

Like W8.1, iPhone (and blackberry) has known BT issues to connect with any windows based machine.

I have tried several different fixes and it has worked about 1 out of 10 times.

Although, Apple have not confirmed the BT functionality, Microsoft have confirmed the same.

Please check the following link - http://bit.ly/1yNwwVp

If you have any other BT enabled phones (Android or Windows based) - I can help you connect them to your PC.

Thanks and Regards,

Rishi

1 Rookie

• 

98 Posts

April 5th, 2015 16:00

I only have an iPhone 6 Plus & my wife also has an iPhone 6 Plus and an iPad 3 - so I guess we are out of luck for trying to connect either to my Dell XPS 8700 Special Edition through Bluetooth.

2K Posts

April 5th, 2015 17:00

Donald357,

Evidently, we do not have any workaround. You could try contacting Apple if required. If they have a fix, please keep us updated, so it will serve as a resolution for others facing the same issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Rishi

4 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 16:00

i have the same problem with my xps8700, i also tried to download the 2 needed drivers from intel but they both kept failing while installing now what?

4 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 17:00

Did you use the update utility to download and install the drivers? If not the link is above, just click the highlighted text in the PM. If you did use the utility then I am out of ideas except maybe make sure to uninstall any current drivers that might be installed before running the utility manager.

4 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 18:00

yes i did, intel driver update utility

4 Posts

June 24th, 2015 06:00

thanks for trying. this was my second dell, first was a laptop and this desktop. it will be my last. Dell ***, it took 6 month to work the bugs out of it when it was new, barely over a year old, what a piece of junk.. i hate dealing with the reps from India

1 Rookie

• 

98 Posts

June 24th, 2015 16:00

I also used the Update Utility link in your 1st post just now.

It looked like it was downloading & installing both items, but in the end, both updates "Failed"

I am hesitant to uninstall any current drivers since I am not sure that the downloads won't fail again.

1 Rookie

• 

98 Posts

June 25th, 2015 11:00

The following seems to be saying that it can't be done at all.

But, apparently, some have been successful in doing this.

Bluetooth: Why can't I pair my iPhone or iPad with my computer?

Lawrence Finch
NYC Area
Level 7 Level 7 (31,240 points)
Version 5
13438 Views
Last Modified: Nov 17, 2014 4:50 PM

Bluetooth supports many different "Profiles", or methods of connecting BlueTooth compatible devices. Since the iPhone first came out Apple has chosen to primarily support hands-free profiles, such as "ear roaches", stereo headsets, automobile integration for sound systems and phone calls, remote control, etc. The specific profiles supported are described here: iOS: Supported Bluetooth profiles. Conspicuously absent from the supported profiles is device to device file transfer. That is, you cannot pair an iOS device with another device for file transfer. That's the simple answer of why you can't pair your iOS device with your computer. As there are many other ways to transfer files to and from iOS devices (USB cable, WiFi, iCloud, email, MMS messaging, iMessage, plus many 3rd party solutions such as Dropbox, Box.com, Google Drive, etc.) this should not limit the use of your iOS device in any way.

However, with the advent of iOS 8, Yosemite, and Apple's "Continuity" features such as Handoff, SMS sync, and Instant Hotspot (not to forget AirDrop), all of which use BlueTooth, the lack of the ability to pair between devices has created confusion. The answer here is there is more to BlueTooth than "permanent" connections via pairing. The BlueTooth 4 standard has added a connectionless mode (called variously BlueTooth Smart, BlueTooth Low Energy, BlueTooth LE, or just BlueTooth 4) that allows information to pass between applications on devices, but does not require the devices themselves to be paired. This feature was originally used for connecting sensors to your device. Thus, your Fitbit, your Polar heart monitor and many other biometric devices can transfer data to your computer, iPhone or iPad without having to be paired. The New York Times for 30 October 2014 has an article on it: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/30/technology/personaltech/bluetooth-improvements -appear-in-more-devices.html

Apple's Continuity features also use BlueTooth 4. This is why older computers and iPhones won't work with some of the continuity features; BlueTooth 4 requires newer hardware. But its also why you don't have to pair your phone and your computer to use these features. For help with using Continuity features (and troubleshooting them) Apple has published this guide: Get help using Continuity with iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite. And for help with AirDrop see: Mac Basics: AirDrop lets you send files from your Mac to nearby Macs and iOS devices - Apple Support

Like Show 17 Likes ( 17)
Categories: Wi-Fi, 3G and Bluetooth

1 Rookie

• 

98 Posts

June 26th, 2015 12:00

Why phone were you ultimately able to pair via Bluetooth to you Dell XPS 8700 Special Edition?

I am assuming it was NOT an iPhone?

4 Posts

June 26th, 2015 17:00

I am paired with my Samsung Galaxy Note 4, a no name tablet, my OOMA telephone and a speaker system.

4 Posts

June 26th, 2015 18:00

after 3 days of trying to unsuccessfully trying to download the drivers, even tho the download failed it did pair and was able to use the Bluetooth. but only after 2 days of computer restarts, this is still unacceptable. i still think it is a garbage product.  note to moderator, if you need to edit my post, only delete the entire post, no editing. 

No Events found!