Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

August 27th, 2015 13:00

Boot Problem – Dell 4550 – Windows 7 - ?? BIOS ??

I have a problem booting my computer.  It may be a relic but still serves as a great backup machine.  I believe something has gone wrong in the BIOS but that is only a best-guess.  I don’t know if it is a side-effect of a recent attempt to upgrade the video card to better support Windows 7.  If you do look there, the last post in that thread is the place to start since it is short, and mentions a strange BIOS behavior.  You can see that some weird things happened to the BIOS during all that.  But the computer was booting properly in spite of it when I was done with that exercise.  For that see:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19642513

I haven’t used the computer for several weeks (it
was unplugged) and a new problem has popped up.  To answer two obvious questions, the internal battery appears to be fine.  Time/Date was right-on when I tried to put it back in service.  I have also run the Startup Repair option on the Windows 7 distribution disk.  It does not make any difference.  But what is happening seems to between POST and Boot, so I suspect a BIOS problem.

When booting normally, the blinking-dash appears in the upper left of the corner after the Dell logo goes away.
  It eventually (15 seconds) reports “strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility”.  F1 gains me nothing, it just repeats the process.

Now it gets stranger, and someone who understands the entire boot process may be able to tell me what is wrong immediately.
  If I enter setup and make no changes, just escape from setup, the whole blinking/message thing repeats.  If I enter setup and make a token change, like shifting the boot sequence, then exit saving the changes, the blinking/message thing repeats.  But sometimes (not predictably) if I enter setup and make a token change then choose “discard changes and exit” Windows 7 comes up normally.

All this tells me the hard drive image, including the boot sector is probably intact.
  In fact, I even reloaded the full image from the last known working version and the behavior doesn’t change.  I strongly suspect the execution of the BIOS code, with perhaps some timing thing involved because it is not precisely repeatable.  But if I persist, over several tries I can eventually get Windows up and running. And it runs properly.

I have Dell’s suggestions for resetting the BIOS from here:

http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/SLN284985/EN

I have done the simple CMOS reset by removing the battery.  I don’t see any change.  I have also reloaded the v A08 BIOS from a floppy.  No change in the behavior.

I don’t find a jumper labeled as indicated.
  I do have a jumper labeled J8H1 CONFIG, but the manual only refers to it for clearing passwords.

I would be willing to try the suggestions here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/18521587

There are specific instructions for the 4550 but I am not sure what they are.
  I am guessing  that the Mail is an M and the Beer a B, but since it might do nasty things if I am wrong, I am afraid to try them.  Perhaps someone can not only tell me the three magic Alt-combos, but maybe an administrator could edit that thread to make them readable.

Of course, I could defeat the whole thing by hibernating the computer after each use, but I shouldn’t have to.
  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/18521587

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

August 27th, 2015 15:00

Why don't you run an extended Dell Diagnostics ?

34 Posts

August 28th, 2015 12:00

I decided to ask for the correct keystrokes on the post where I had the "Mail" and "Beer" problem. When I did, the "quote" section showed it as this:

1100, B110, 2200, 2400, 3000, 4300, 4300S, 4500S, 4500C, 4550, 4590, 4600, 4600C, 8100, 8200, 8250, 8300, 8400, XPS 1, 2
* Click Start- Turn Off Computer- Restart
* Watch the keyboard lights. When they flash, tap the F2 key
* The message, Entering Setup should appear
* Press the [Caps Lock], [Scroll Lock] and the [Num Lock] keys to light up all three lights on the keyboard
* Press the [Alt-E] keys at the same time
* The computer issues a beep
* Press the [Alt-F] keys at the same time
* The computer issues a beep
* Down arrow to Onboard or Integrated Devices [press Enter]
* Set everything to On except for USB Emulation which should be set for NO BOOT
* Press the [Alt-B] keys at the same time
* The BIOS saves settings and the computer restarts

I guess "Mail" was actually "e-mail".  I will first do a bit more research to see if I can confirm those from another source but eventually give them a try. If worse comes to worse and I wind up with a computational brick I am sure I can part-out Old Faithful for more than its resale value.

I will report, no matter what the consequences.

34 Posts

August 28th, 2015 12:00

Why don't you run an extended Dell Diagnostics ?

Thanks for the fast reply.  I should have thought about that.  But.... No Joy!  I ran the full Advanced version and no problems found.  But it looks like they only check the CMOS for validity (checksum, etc.) not its execution paths.  And I don't see that it checked Boot Sector accuracy.

So I guess I am still stuck with a puzzle on my hands.

34 Posts

August 28th, 2015 14:00

I found several more posts on this forum confirming the Alt-E, Alt-F, and Alt-B keystrokes.

Here is what I did (with no success).

Removed all power sources, even removing the monitor cable and Ethernet "just in case" (signal feedback?).  Removed the CMOS battery, held power button a minute, waited an hour.  Powered back up (with the battery still out).  Entered Setup.  Set keyboard locks as indicated.  Entered Alt-E, heard beep, and saw changes in the setup screen.  Entered Alt-F, heard beep.  Entered Alt-B which started POST. again.  Immediately entered Setup mode again. Reinstalled the battery.  Ran the procedure to restore the MBR for Windows 7 using the distribution disk "just in case".  Ran the Windows 7 procedure using the distribution disk to fix startup problems "just in case".  Restarted and the same problem persists.

I can still eventually get to a working version of Windows by one or two cycles through Setup, making a small change, then selecting the option to discard the changes.  Sure would like to look at the BIOS code and try my knowledge of i86 assembler language to see what is there.  (Yeah, right, that was 33 years ago!)

I am convinced my BIOS has been corrupted and is not repairable by "normal" means.

34 Posts

August 29th, 2015 12:00

Doesn't pay to be too convinced, but it pays to keep at a problem you don't understand.  Especially if you have nothing to lose and time on your hands.  I was still pretty sure the problem lay in the BIOS, but had another thought.

I decided to swap-in the drive from another old computer to see if there really could be a problem in the MBR.  The BIOS did its thing to recognize the new drive.  Bingo!  Windows XP came up.  I shutdown/restarted it several times with no problem.  Strange.

I thought about putting my W7 image on that drive but first wanted to see if something else might be going on.  I replaced my original drive, BIOS did its thing again, and W7 came up.  I have shutdown/restarted it several times with no problems.

Two possibilities:  BIOS was looking in the wrong place on the original drive (or not finding it at all) and replacing it and then putting the original back, corrected the problem;  or the connector had a signal missing and reseating it fixed the problem.  Remember, I had used procedures to fix the MBR and at times the thing would boot from Setup.  I had even restored the full disk image and also used the Dell distribution disk to reinstall Window XP.  So everything seemed to know how to address the drive once it was alive.  But there was no change in the behavior.  I am betting on the BIOS not recognizing the disk, but I guess I'll never know which.

I suppose I should have tried the old Apple II trick of removing all cables, chips, etc. and replacing them before making the hard drive swap.  Boy, that used to be a ball!  Then I would be a bit closer to a possible answer.

No Events found!