Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 27th, 2016 21:00

Boot Sequence

I installed a new SSD today and got Windows installed onto it(or so I think.)  But I don't know how or what to change in BIOS to make the new drive boot on its own.  It will boot with my old drive enabled, but when I disable it I can't boot.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 28th, 2016 13:00

Always include exact PC model and version of Windows in your posts.

Where did you connect the SSD data cable to on the motherboard? Did you connect it where the HDD was originally connected (SATA0) or to some other SATA port?  The boot drive should be connected to SATA0

Did you enable the SATA port where the SSD is connected, if not connected to the port where the HDD was connected?

Did you change the boot sequence in BIOS setup to put the SSD first?

7 Posts

March 28th, 2016 14:00

XPS 8900

i7-6700

24gb RAM

EVGA GTX 960 ATX 2.0 SC

Crucial MX200 250gb x 2

Seagate 1tb HDD

Windows 10 64 bit

I did not put the SSD into the SATA0 where it apparently belongs.  SATA ports are enabled, and I did change the boot sequence but it didn't work.  This must have been because I disabled SATA0 to see if the SSD was working properly before changing the boot sequence.

7 Posts

March 28th, 2016 17:00

It sure didn't.  Crucial says that it's not partitioned correctly, and that the SSD  needs to  be alone in the system when I try and install WIndows.  Apparently Windows is striped a little bit which explains why it boots Windows from the SSD but only with the old  HDD connected as well.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 28th, 2016 17:00

So will it boot from the SSD with that drive connected to SATA0, with that port enabled, and SSD first in the boot sequence?

No Events found!