Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2010 15:00

Boot from CD my Dell Inspiron 530S won't turn on, i'm doing my nuts here

Please please help me on this one

So i turn on my comp as normal one eve, the DELL screen comes up and stays for a long time, then i get a black screen saying:

"Boot from CD :

No boot device available, Press ENTER key to rety

SATA-0: Installed

SATA-1: Installed

SATA-4: None

SATA-5: None"

My Dell has one of those Seagate Barracuda hard drives that there was a reported problem with - something to do with the data on the drive at risk of not being accessible after a power cycle. They sent out a CD to fix this prob but i didn't use it (though i still have the CD). Don't know if this problem is related to the Seagate hard drive problem.

What do i do? Seems like my options are to press F2 or F12 when the comp is loading up, to access the setup menu or the other menu, but i don't know what to do on those menus to help. Also have some inkling that i may need to insert a CD into the CD drive to get it booted up but i don't have any CDs (maybe i could make one on my laptop?).

Any help much appreciated, what should i do next?

Thanks

1 Message

February 13th, 2010 14:00

I am having the EXACT same issue. it just started for me last night. I have NO IDEA what this stuff even means. I've been having issues with my comcast (cable Internet) service along with my Vonage (phone service) and both parties are working on it. I was wondering it that was causing this issue.  I had not backed up this PC at all (other than some photos here and there) until today, just in case. So it's not a external HD causing my problems. I do wonder though.. I installed a windows update a few days ago and things have been going downhill since then.

2 Posts

February 14th, 2010 08:00

I am having the EXACT same issue. it just started for me last night. I have NO IDEA what this stuff even means. I've been having issues with my comcast (cable Internet) service along with my Vonage (phone service) and both parties are working on it. I was wondering it that was causing this issue.  I had not backed up this PC at all (other than some photos here and there) until today, just in case. So it's not a external HD causing my problems. I do wonder though.. I installed a windows update a few days ago and things have been going downhill since then.

I have since fixed this problem. There was a firmware problem with my Seagate Barracuda hard drive which came with the Dell Inspiron. I got on the phone to Dell and they said my hard drive was screwed and would have to be replaced. This would have meant me losing all my data which would have been a minor tragedy. So i searched round a bit and emailed Seagate direct to tell them about the prob i was having with their hard drive in my Dell. They were very helpful and said i could send my hard drive to them to see if they could fix it or at least recover the data. They said that if it was a firmware problem then they would fix it free of charge.

They sent a TNT courier to pick it up from me, fixed it and returned it via courier within a few days. I put it back in my comp and it worked just like before the problems. Which was a massive result. Turns out it was a known firmware issue which is a problem with those particular drives which causes them to stop working. So they fixed it for free. I only found out indirectly about this through something on the Dell site, and the tech person i spoke to on the phone was going to have my hard drive taken away to the dump, so was lucky i found Seagate and that they fixed it pronto.

So i suggest you get in touch with Seagate

No Events found!