Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

December 29th, 2012 09:00

Brand New 660s not booting up - 2nd machine same problem

I have a very frustrating problem that if anyone can help with I would be hugely grateful.

I bought a brand new 660s from Argos just before Christmas (full spec below ) and I plugged it in last night to set it up and it just wouldn't boot up.  I took it back this morning and swapped it for a replacement - exactly same model and this one also is doing exactly the same thing -

Problem

all plugged in and when power button pressed you get the Dell logo with the blue bar and F2 set up and F12  boot up options showing.

it then goes to the windows logo for a second and says resuming windows and then just dies.

I have disconnected the LAN cable and the sound lead from the screen from the machine and have tried plugging the dell mouse and keyboard into the two front USB sockets to see if that made a difference but it doesnt.

I have also ran the F12 diagnostics and it reported that everything was OK.  Have checked the bios settings and all looks OK there too.  The boot settings are also correct too.

I also tried booting from the drivers & utilities CD as a last ditch attempt but this did nothing either.

I have also left the machine alone for over 15 minutes after the windows logo disappeared to see if it was just slow at booting up but nothing is happening at all except the hard disk light is flashing on & off as if the disk is being read but its all dead as a dodo otherwise.

I am quite an advanced user but am totally stumped by this problem.  The Tech support also do not work at weekends so I have no choice other than to wait until then unless of course the problem can be resolved here.

many thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas. Full Spec below

CPU and Memory:

• Intel dual core G630.
  • Processor speed 2.7GHz.
  • 4GB DDR3 RAM.

Hard drive:

• 500GB SATA hard drive.

DVD optical drives:

• Dual layer.

Graphics:

• Shared graphics.
  • Intel GMA.

Interfaces and connectivity:

• 8 USB ports.
  • Ethernet port.
  • 1 HDMI port.
  • Wireless/WiFi enabled.
  • Wired keyboard and mouse.
  • Wireless keyboard and mouse.

Sound:

• 5.1 sound system.

Operating system & software:

• Microsoft Windows 7 Premium.

General features:

• Size H26.5, W10, D37.5cm.
  • Weight 6.2kg.
  • Power saving facility.
  • EAN/MPN/UPC/ISBN: 5397063240944.

38 Posts

December 29th, 2012 09:00

Ah an update - i have just tried it again and when pressing the power button i pressed very quickly twice and it has now gone to the set up page - very odd.

So I may have success - I have no Idea why this should have worked but I will go through the set up and see what happens

38 Posts

December 29th, 2012 10:00

OK not sure if this is relevant but in system information under components & problem devices it is saying that the Security Processor Loader Driver is not present is not working properly or does not have all of its drivers installed.

38 Posts

hi dakitas - i was in the process of doing this on my lap top - and you are right theres loads of pages to go through!!

38 Posts

i can get into safe mode OK but this is not satisfactory on a long term basis.

it wont let me access windows update in safe mode.

are their any diagnostics checks I can perform whilst in safe mode to at least try to ascertain what the problem is?

38 Posts

because you are an advanced user, please do not be offended, this is only a guess, i assume 2 video ports in back; one VGA, one HDMI and both are not displaying video output

38 Posts

Hi Mary thanks for your post

I have done all the things you suggest - I have done an F12 diagnostics twice now and its very odd that the same thing should happen to two different machines.

I have taken out the service tag details.

38 Posts

Thanks dakitas - no offence taken - there is and HDMI & VGA & I only have my normal screen plugged in which has worked perfectly with previous machine .

38 Posts

OK - well I was able to go through the set up routines and set up the user accounts - I took off Mcafee and rebotted the machine and now its the same again - hugely frustrating!!!!!!!!

Any thoughts anyone?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Sounds like it is stuck in Hibernation. That's why you see "resuming Windows" when you boot up. Try pressing and holding down the power button for 30 seconds to force a complete shutdown.

You can select the Diagnostics by accessing the Boot Menu by tapping F12 as soon as you reboot. That will check the hardware. If that doesn't do anything, return the computer and get your money back.  BTW remove the service tag from your first post. That is not allowed in the forum.

38 Posts

try to google "Security Processor Loader Driver" there are too many hits to find the quick fix

38 Posts

Well it is not a happy bunny starting in normal mode but will start in safe mode - my next option is to do full systems update from both the dell web site and windows updates.

still open to any thoughts re potential resolution

38 Posts

I did and the keyboard too and the mouse - all thew component parts that came with the PC

47 Posts

Do you use the Power cable that came with the computer?

38 Posts

December 29th, 2012 11:00

Hi RoHe - thanks very much for this. THis would be masssively appreciated if there is anything they can do.

I am wondering if there has been a dodgy batch of this machine delivered  to Argos generally as the first machine came from a different store to the one I went to today.  There is practically no stock anywhere in Argos for this machine so I had to go where they did have stock.

it just seems too much of a coincidence that two brand new machines should have exactly the same problem straight out of the box!!

38 Posts

December 29th, 2012 11:00

Hi Rdunnill

Will download the ISO and try that in a bit.

Not sure if its a software problem as its only let me get into normal windows once which was after numerous attempts at restarting the machine - it all worked fine when setting up the user accounts but when I deleted the pre installed Mcafee and rebotted it then went back to not starting again.

No Events found!