Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2016 05:00

Brand New XPS 8900

Brand new Dell XPS 8900 with Windows 10 and IE 11. Tried everything I could find on Google to no avail.
- Can't eliminate the initial Windows password sign-in
- Can't get Control Panel to stay with Large Icons
- Can't get Google to be my default browser in lieu of Bing
- Can't get Edge out of the way so /pdfs will be opened with Acrobatic Reader
- NVIDIA Control Panel shows up in my Control Panel but isn't accessible

Can anyone help with any of this? Does Windows 10 need to be reinstalled? If so, I never rec'd a disk with my purchase.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

February 18th, 2016 16:00

Hello! I will try an answer your questions since you have been waiting a few days.  

1.  When you talk about the initial password are you talking about your Microsoft Account password that it makes you log in with?  I am not sure of a way to remove that requirement after the fact but I know during set up you can skip logging in with a Microsoft account and use a generic name like in Windows 7.

2.  When you speak of the control panel, are you talking about the 'new' control panel with all the fancy colors and menu items or the old windows 7 style control panel.  If the old, there should be a menu option to change the size however if it is not staying put I would say that is a glitch of some sort.

3.  When it comes to Google and other defaults you have to manually select them.  Access the 'New' control panel or settings menu and select system, then select app defaults and then web browser.  From there select Chrome and your set. 

4.  For Acrobat Reader, when you installed it was there a check mark or box making it the default PDF reader?  If you missed it no big deal, in the same area as in #3, select defaults by file type and select PDF, then change it to Adobe Acrobat.

5.  The Nvidia control panel might be an issue.  What I would do is go to http://www.nvidia.com/ and download the latest drivers for your graphics card and install them.  

February 19th, 2016 05:00

Hi beamermt79,

Most of my problems went away when Dell Customer Support helped me reinstall Windows 10. They said it was corrupted somehow. All is good now for most of my problems except I still don’t know why NVIDIA’s Contro Panel is listed in the Windows Control Panel. When I click on it I get an error msg saying “NVIDIA Display settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU”.

AND, when I get an email with a hyperlink in it, I click on the link and I get a popup saying “How do you want to open this file?” It then lists Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge and Look for an app in the Apps Store. My only choices. No Adobe Acrobatic Reader even though it is my default for PDFs.

Worst thing that happened during the reinstall is that the instructions I got on the phone from Customer Service not only formatted my C: drive in preparation for Windows 10 but also formatted another internal hard drive from my old PC I had installed that I intended to use to copy all my old data files over to the new C: drive. Now, I've lost two months of backups including Fed and State income tax returns on TurboTax for me and my daughter, my investments, budget, etc. That hurt big time!

Jim

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

February 20th, 2016 15:00

Ouch! While I like Windows 10, its still too flaky for my tastes but what do you do :-(

After re-installing Windows 10, did you download the latest Nvidia drivers or are you still using Dell stock drivers?

As for the defaults, if you have it set correctly i'm at a loss myself.  I would download the pdf to desktop and then open it as it could be a bug in the browser or email program?

February 20th, 2016 18:00

Yes, I have my NVIDIA updates set on "Auto" but I still went to the NVIDIA web site and had it checked. It said one update was available for gaming which I don't do but I downloaded it anyway. So I should be current with NVIDIA.

I keep getting default notifications for photos, videos and the like. Constantly. I go to Defaults in the Control Panel and work through the listed programs one by one. For many Microsoft products it says I have numerous faults. So I make the product the default and save it. Like 3D builder for example. Says 10 out of 13 defaults. I have no idea what this program is and don't use it directly. Guess some other MS program could be using it, I don't know. Similar thing with Mail, Edge, Movies & TV, One Note, Paint, People, Power Media Player, Voice Recorder, Windows Contacts, Windows Disk Image Burner and Windows Media Player (24 out of 58 defaults). Got sick of seeing that Notifications Banner popping up on the right side of my screen listing all the defaults so I just turned off all Notifications.

No Events found!