Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 21st, 2017 14:00

Brand new Dell Inspiron 3252 is dirt slow, please help

I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 3252 desktop that is dirt slow out of the box. It takes multiple seconds just to bring up regular programs. The only programs I am running on this computer are FireFox, Chrome, iTunes, and Excel. And it will run slow if just ONE of these programs is running. I know iTunes is a slow program by itself. But everything else is slow on this computer. Screens repainting, switching from window to window, running Control Panel, everything! And I am not referring to internet speed being slow for the web browsers.

I thought I was going to fix the matter by uninstalling that McAfee albatross of a program that comes with the Dell. I replaced that with Bit Defender. Bit Defender takes up half the memory that McAfee hogs, and uses less CPU.

But this computer is still very sluggish doing just about anything, and I'm running out of ideas. I have checked the task manager and the CPU is often near 100% even if it's just idling. Various programs running in the background seem to be grabbing the CPU. Unless the computer came pre-packaged with a virus, there is no virus or malware on here causing this. It's barely been used, and it's been slow since I first turned it on.

Again, it's brand new, only a few weeks old. Windows 10 is up to date.

Any ideas? Here is the setup:

Inspiron 3252
Windows 10 Home (64bit) Englis h
Intel Celeron Processor N3050 (2M Cache, up to 2.16 GHz)
Dell Wireless 1707 Card (802.1 1BGN + Bluetooth 4.0, 2.4 GHz)
1TB 7200 rpm SATA 6Gb/s Hard D rive
4GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600M Hz (4GBx1)

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 22nd, 2017 05:00

That model is designed to sell for as low a price as possible.  Bump the budget up about $80 to the 3250

and you will get a real desktop system instead of a tablet in desktop form factor.

ALL entry level systems are essentially a lesson in economics - "you get what you pay for".

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 23rd, 2017 16:00

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 21st, 2017 16:00

The combination of a bottom of the barrel CPU, insufficient RAM and a slow conventional hard drive is deadly for performance.

It may help to upgrade the RAM to 8G -- and it WILL help to replace the hard drive with a solid state drive, but there's nothing you can do with that CPU.  These CPUs are designed for low-cost tablets, which in turn are designed as Internet browsers - and little more.

66 Posts

March 21st, 2017 16:00

Thank you for your reply. I find it unfathomable that an out of the box PC could run this slowly. Why would Dell care so little about this? I can't be the only one who noticed.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 21st, 2017 18:00

ejn63 is probably right , a low end CPU and way too little RAM that's running in single channel mode.

Reboot and IMMEDIATELY press F12. Go to the diagnostics menu and run all the diagnostic tests, including RAM and extended HDD tests.

If it passes all the tests, there's a chance it's an issue with the Windows installation. So consider backing up all personal files on an external HDD first and then do a full Win 10 Reset to reinstall Windows. You will have to re-install any software you added once the Reset is done.

But there's no guarantees a Reset will improve things with that hardware...

66 Posts

March 21st, 2017 18:00

Honestly, this computer is for my 70+ father. What he does on a computer is very limited. And he is very slow using it. So when he tells me "this computer is slow", I know something is really wrong.

66 Posts

March 22nd, 2017 09:00

I think I am just going to return the computer to Dell. I understand that I am getting what I paid for. I wasn't expecting much. But I was expecting more than a very sluggish PC after accessing a few websites in Firefox. In 2009, I bought him the cheapest computer that Dell (Vista) had at the time, and THAT computer is less sluggish today than this new one.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2017 11:00

If you're going to return it, do that ASAP because there's a time limit on when Dell will take it back for a refund. And the time limit starts on the invoice date, not on the date you received it.

And be sure to wipe the hard drive so no personal info remains. Best to do a full Win 10 Reset.

66 Posts

March 23rd, 2017 16:00

How would I accomplish a Win 10 reset? They didn't supply a Win 10 disk with the computer.

1 Message

April 1st, 2017 11:00

I purchased this same computer and agree with you 100%.  This computer is so slow I can't believe Dell would even sell it.  I bought it to replace a 10 year AMD system that I built myself.  I benched tested this new Dell against my 10 year old and the old system was faster than the this Dell.  It's to late for me to return mine.  I thought about selling it but I would feel bad for anyone who bought it, it really is that bad.  Even simple web surfing takes forever.

66 Posts

April 2nd, 2017 13:00

When I called to return it, I was offered $25 to keep the computer. I said no thanks.

254 Posts

April 3rd, 2017 07:00

i am using an inspiron 11 laptop with 2gb ram and the worst CPU intel has ever made, the celeron n3050.  i was able to speed it up a bit by going to the "background apps" in settings and turning everything off except calendar and mail.

2 Posts

August 13th, 2017 12:00

Within days of buying my Inspiron 3252 I wrote the following call for help to Dell Customer Service and never got a response.

"I bought my Inspiron 3252 on July 16, 2016. When shopping for my new Dell, I thought the entry level Inspiron would suit my needs, since all I would do is email, Facebook and general web browsing. My first warning sign to it's poor performance should have been when it took well over 1 hour for the new Inspiron to download and launch the Norton security suite from my Comcast ISP.

When performing the simple tasks of reading Facebook posts, going through email, or even writing this review, the mouse courser and scrolling actions frequently freeze up, while you hear the computer hard drive processing data.   I don't know if this is due to the 1.60 GHz Celeron CPU, or the 4.00 GB Ram that came installed. It's all quite frustrating, as I would like to return this computer, but discarded all the packaging materials the day I received my new PC, thinking there would be no issues with a brand new computer.  Any assistance from Dell would be greatly appreciated."

Well past any options for return or exchange, I'm stuck with a $280 door stop,

Can any other 3252 users attest if the 4GB to 8GB RAM increase help with simple web browsing?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 13th, 2017 15:00

It should help, yes.  Getting rid of Norton in favor of Microsoft Defender will also greatly improve performance - Norton saps performance as well or better than most of the malware it purports to protect from.

2 Posts

August 13th, 2017 17:00

Thanks ejn63!  The Norton security suite was included with my Comcast Xfinity package, so I'll get the RAM and Antivirus upgraded ASAP and report back with my results.

No Events found!