Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 26th, 2016 05:00

Brand new XPS 8900, motherboard USB3.0 connector issue

Hello,

I've just received my brand new XPS 8900 this week, in replacement of my Inspiron 530s which finally died after 8 years of good service (realizing my previous post on Dell Community is over 8 years old...). It's the high-end configuration with GTX 960 video card, 256MB SSD, 2TB HDD.

I have a small issue with it and would appreciate an outside opinion on this :

Yesterday, I opened my XPS 8900 in order to add an additional HDD. In the process, I noticed that the GTX 960 fan-case is firmly pressing against the front panel USB 3.0 cable, to the point the plug is slightly bent. Moreover, the cable is slightly obstructing the GTX 960 fan. I was a bit displeased with this, as this is clearly inappropriate cable routing. Apart from this, all other cables within the XPS 8900 are very tidy.

I removed the GTX 960 (this is necessary in order to remove the HDD cage) and then realized that the front panel USB 3.0 cable is indeed too short, and the plug is very wobbly. I tried to pull gently, in order to detach the cable and find a better way to route it. It appears that the USB 3.0 socket (the clear-blue plastic part) isn't attached to the motherboard! I noticed the securing clip, and, while pressing it, I lifted the plug slightly (~3mm). But the socket would not unclip and would come out together with the plug. From fear of bending a pin, I pushed the plug back in and gave up trying to detach it. Then, I installed the HDD and put everything back in, the way it was.

The computer runs fine. Both front USB panels work normally (tested with an external USB 2.0 drive). Given that I have already migrated all my data and started using the computer, I would really dislike having to send it back just for that, unless the issue poses a threat of failure in the future...

My questions are the following :

- Is it normal that the plastic bit of the motherboard USB 3.0 socket is just pressed in (not glued to the motherboard)? If not, do you believe that this must be fixed or can I just live with it?

- Do you think I can replace the USB-panel cable, with a longer one (is it standard?), and thus fix the problem for good?

Thank you!!!

8 Posts

June 26th, 2016 09:00

All right. I will try that.

I'm a bit worried about the socket not being properly attached to the motherboard : I fear not to be able to put the cable back in place, if I ever remove it completely... And this might cause some failure in the long run, given the cable isn't held firmly in place...

Do you think this is easily fixable?

EDIT : problem solved! Given that I'm under warranty, I gave it a try and completely removed the black USB cable - I managed to detach it from the wobbly blue socket, then pushed the socket back all the way. It's now pretty stable. In fact, it just holds in place through pressing around the pins. Then, I routed the cable exactly like you did. The plug is not bent, nor wobbly, anymore. What a relief. They should have gotten this right from the start...

By the way, I don't have a heatsink either, on the chip below the video card.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 26th, 2016 09:00

On mine I unplugged the motherboard end and routed it bent 90 degrees and under the card.  To do this I had to unplug it and leave it unplugged while I routed the cable flat.  Then inserted a GTX960 and screwed the card holder back in.  With the cable pinned down by the card in the back I replugged it into the motherboard.   I agree this cable is too short.  Unfortunately the motherboard connector is microscopic pins which are easily bent or broken off.  While I did this once I would not recommend doing it again.  Its not a standard 20 pin USB3 front panel connector.  

Worse Still the 8900 service manual DOES NOT SHOW Actual pictures of the inside of an 8900.

The black usb cable to the blue 20 pin micro connector on the motherboard is not shown in any pictures.

No Events found!