Highlighted
doodzeez
1 Nickel

Bricked Motherboard

During a BIOS update on my Dell 660s on Windows 8.1, but during the update my PC bluscreened. Is there a way to refashion the BIOS without getting a new motherboard?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
8 Platinum

RE: Bricked Motherboard

During a BIOS update on my Dell 660s on Windows 8.1, but during the update my PC bluscreened. Is there a way to refashion the BIOS without getting a new motherboard?

doodzeez

No, replacing the Dell motherboard is the only way.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Bev. may be right, but you can try clearing BIOS:

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall battery (right-side-up!)
  6. Close case and try to boot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected (and fingers x'd)

If you ran the BIOS update from inside Windows, but didn't disable your anti-malware software first, that could have caused the BSOD.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

doodzeez
1 Nickel

Thanks! I'll try it when I get home. Also, if it helps any I have another Dell 660s, but not sure if same model #. Last, I did not realise autocorrect changed "reflash" to "refashion."

0 Kudos
doodzeez
1 Nickel

No, I am sad, but it did not work. Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
8 Platinum

doodzeez

Best to buy another Inspiron 660s motherboard, as Dell's OEM copies of Windows that are factory installed, are tied to their BIOS.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
doodzeez
1 Nickel

It probably is, but I rather hear other methods before resorting to eBay. Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Iridium

AFAIK the BIOS can be reprovisioned at a repair facility.

0 Kudos