Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2009 17:00

Buyer Beware

As of today my company will no longer represent or do any sort of warranty work/repair for Dell.  I went to a simple install of a Brand New desktop that was right out of the box.  This was a total Virgin machine.  After the install the machine failed on the boot screen.  On the monitor I saw a nice bright red screen, not the blue screen of death, but rather a red screen that told me the machine failed on every boot device.  After a few moments a large FAIL appeared to fill the entire screen (still red mind you).  So I called Dell to let them know the machine that was bought on the 9th of Feb. had major problems out of the box and needs to go back for warranty diagnostic and repair.  Well I got the "run around"  I got into a yelling match with the Tech support over an error code.  He was asking me to read off the error code and then told me I was wrong when I gave him the code.  I was then told to reload the driver disk.  Now how is the driver disk going to work when the machine fails on the device screen?  I did the CMOS thing as instructed.  I even ran a DFT even though it was pointless.  The tech then told me since the HDD passed the quick DFT that the machine was fine. 

You would think that Dell knowing how many machine are produced in a single day would realize that a small portion of them would have errors.  You would also think that knowing this they would be more than happy to fix the problem.  QC cant check every machine, and Dell wont even admit a single machine may have issues.  I was also transfered 5 times before I got tired of it and demanded a supervisor.  I gave him plenty of time to give me the address to send the machine back for the repairs.  This is a 1500 dollar machine.  This is now a 1500 dollar refund.  the customers are now taking the machine back and then coming to my shop to have a custom computer built. 

SO, not only will I not work with Dell.  But every company that we have a service contract with I will have them remove all of their Dell computers for our custom built ones.  Every workstation that is a Dell in all of my contract companies will now be replaced.  So down in Naples FL dell just lost a 1500 dollar sell and about 50,000 dollars in business computers.

And while typing this I had to ask myself; why is 70% of computers in my shop a dell that is just out of warranty.  Kinda makes me wonder.

2.2K Posts

February 12th, 2009 10:00

"You would think that Dell knowing how many machine are produced in a single day would realize that a small portion of them would have errors. "

That statement could also be applied to their tech support contacts. I'd think you would realize that with the thousands of tech support contacts each day, some will not go the way the caller had hoped.

As for a large portion of your repairs being Dell's, they are one of the largest computer sellers out there, so there will be more that need repair.... And, if you have clients you have been promoting Dells to, it is only logical they'd bring those Dells back to you when they need repair.

By forcing your customers to switch to your own custom built machines, are you doing what is best for them, or what  is best for you? It sounds more like you are looking out for yourself, and if I were a customer of yours, I'd certainly be suspicious....

149 Posts

February 12th, 2009 10:00

The Dell tech treated you like a dunce? 70% of your shop repairs are Dell?  You want everyone to switch to your boxes thereby negating 70% of your repair business?  I think the Dell tech was right!

No Events found!