Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2013 17:00

CD/DVD Combo drive disappearing in Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

For no apparent reason, my CD/DVD combo drive sometimes disappears after having used it during a windows session, and some other times, it doesn't appear at all after booting up.

What I have checked already:

• There is nothing in the Device Manager, so drivers don't seem to be an issue.
  • I am also able to press the eject button on the drive and get it to open and close.
  • I opened the machine and disconnected and reconnected the SATA power and data cables, this doesn't seem to change anything.

I read somewhere in the WIndows support forums that it is possible that the drive might not be compatible with Windows' AHCI drivers. Can anyone confirm, please?

The model of my drive is:

9JFD1

Module,Dvd+/-Rw,16X,BARE,Precision Workstation,Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology

Help, please!

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

March 25th, 2013 17:00

Hi inerdtia,

Follow below steps to resolve the issue.

REGISTRY EDIT DISCLAIMER:
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

• Click Star, and then click All Programs.
  • Click Accessories, and then click Run.
  • Type regedit, and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  • In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry sub key:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  • In the right pane, click Upper Filters.
  • Note: You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click Upper Filters only. If you do not see the Upper Filters registry entry, you still might have to remove the Lower Filters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
  • On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  • When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  • In the right pane, click Lower Filters.
  • Note If you do not see the Lower Filters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
  • On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  • When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click yes.
  • Exit Registry Editor.
  • Restart the computer.

If upper filters and lower filters are still missing you can go ahead and run the Microsoft fixit.

I have provided a link to run Microsoft Fixit:

http://bit.ly/32ERX

Awaiting your response!

32 Posts

March 26th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for your prompt reply. I happened to have a spare SATA cable so I changed it yesterday and I haven't had issues so far. I will try to use your solution if the problem reappears.

I peeked on my computer's registry and I do have the "LowerFilters" entry, but as mentioned above, I am going to wait and see if the cable swap solves the problem.

Alejandro

No Events found!